4 week old chick suddenly having issues walking, mareks??

Cwillenburg

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
I noticed this morning that she was acting a little weird, and this evening when i got home, she is almost completely unable to walk. She can't seem to keep her legs under her and i haven't found any injuries or other possible reasons. All the other chicks are behaving normally. We've never had mareks before and i haven't had any exposure to other flocks that i can think of. I haven't even been to the feed store in the last 2 weeks

At 4 weeks that would not be symptoms of Mareks. What are you feeding them? Are there older chicks or chickens around? Injuries can and do happen. Hopefully that is what it is,,but using human vitamin B or super B complex tablets 1/4 tablet daily crushed into a spoonful of water or food may be helpful. Can you get a good picture of the chick standing with legs in view from the front, even holding her on the top of a table or something?

At 4 weeks that would not be symptoms of Mareks. What are you feeding them? Are there older chicks or chickens around? Injuries can and do happen. Hopefully that is what it is,,but using human vitamin B or super B complex tablets 1/4 tablet daily crushed into a spoonful of water or food may be helpful. Can you get a good picture of the chick standing with legs in view from the front, even holding her on the top of a table or something?
She is in a brooder with 5 other chicks, and she is the boss. I've been feeding them southern natural feeds chick starter. I have a video of her trying to walk but it won't upload.

You have to upload videos to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. Pictures can sometimes be very helpful too. Just seeing the legs from the front sometimes can show a slipped tendon, leg bone deformity, or splayed legs.

You have to upload videos to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. Pictures can sometimes be very helpful too. Just seeing the legs from the front sometimes can show a slipped tendon, leg bone deformity, or splayed legs.
I finally got some pictures this morning. I put her in a brooder by herself and gave her some b12.
20220410_113004.jpg
20220410_113011.jpg
20220410_113024.jpg
20220410_113832.jpg

Does the issue seem to be in a hip or in the leg? Can you get some Super B complex, not B12, and use that for riboflavin? B12 is only B 12 and she needs riboflavin. Riboflavin, also called B2 is helpful with sitting on hocks and other leg issues. Leg bone deformities are common and include varus (bow leg) or valgus (knock kneed) deformity in one or both legs.

Does the issue seem to be in a hip or in the leg? Can you get some Super B complex, not B12, and use that for riboflavin? B12 is only B 12 and she needs riboflavin. Riboflavin, also called B2 is helpful with sitting on hocks and other leg issues. Leg bone deformities are common and include varus (bow leg) or valgus (knock kneed) deformity in one or both legs.
Her hips seem fine from what i can tell. I'll pick up some b complex when i get out. I can't find any injury from feeling. She keeps falling backwards and can't seem to get her legs under her.

Had she been walking and acting normally up until now? Do you have any liver or nutritional yeast that you could give her until you get the b complex?

Had she been walking and acting normally up until now? Do you have any liver or nutritional yeast that you could give her until you get the b complex?
No, i don't have anything like that, it won't be very long for me to get the b complex. She has been completely fine until yesterday morning. That's when i first noticed something was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom