Mdavchicks

Chirping
Jul 22, 2022
Hi! I am a new chick momma. I have 17 - 4 week old chicks and they were all doing well till yesterday. One of my ancona chicks became lethargic and stopped eating. I separated her from the flock but I am not sure what to do to help her. I put scrambled eggs, meal worms, chick feed and water with electrolytes in with her and she is not interested. When I check on her she just seems to be in one spot and is very sleepy- she does walk around and chirps quietly sometimes.

Her symptoms are:
Lethargy
Not eating or drinking
ruffled feathers / hunched down
her beak and legs look more pale than my other ancona
normal poops

She was vaccinated for Coccidia and Marek's.

What can I do to help her eat and drink?

What do her poops look like? Coccidiosis is very common at this age. Treating with Corid is the usual treatment, but it can undo the coccidiosis vaccine. Dosage is 2 tsp per gallon of water or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. It will not hurt her to treat for coccidiosis with Corid. Vitamins should not be used while on Corid. If you suspect that she may be just dehydrated you could dip her beak into fresh water, and give her a dose of Poultry NutriDrench or similar. You can also tube feed her fluids.

What do her poops look like? Coccidiosis is very common at this age. Treating with Corid is the usual treatment, but it can undo the coccidiosis vaccine. Dosage is 2 tsp per gallon of water or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. It will not hurt her to treat for coccidiosis with Corid. Vitamins should not be used while on Corid. If you suspect that she may be just dehydrated you could dip her beak into fresh water, and give her a dose of Poultry NutriDrench or similar. You can also tube feed her fluids.
Thank you for your reply!!
I picked up Corid- which I suspect it is coccidiosis. I had a hard time figuring out how to keep them from roosting on top of their water and they pooped in it quite often... I solved that issue though! I got a 3cc syringe- if she won't drink should I put drops in her mouth? Also, can I make a gallon of the Corid at once? Should I keep the rest in the fridge? Her poop actually looks normal- which has me confused.

Back
Top Bottom