carleyfrance

Hatching
May 23, 2021
i have a duckling that’s around 4 weeks old and they were doing perfectly fine up until i came home from a trip this weekend. i came home and got them out of the cage i have them in and it was just laying or sitting down. i tried to get it to stand up but it wouldn’t. when it did it just fell over and wouldn’t use it’s left leg at all. (the duckling isn’t outside yet because it’s still small and i read that they aren’t supposed to be outside yet). i took the duckling outside to try and swim to see if it would use that left leg and it won’t use it at all. it’s been cuddling and seems fine except it can’t walk and i’m freaking out cause i don’t know what’s wrong. it’s only been doing this for about 20 minutes and the other duckling is perfectly fine. there’s no bleeding, swelling, popped out/showing bones, or any other signs of trauma. i examined the foot for bumblefoot and there’s no signs of that and there’s no splinters. i have no clue what happened. it’s been eating, drinking, pooping, sleeping normal. we’ve been using pine bedding but i was about to try cedar. i haven’t had them in cedar yet because i just bought it. i’m freaking out and need some help:( !!

What feed are they on?
Waterfowl need more niacin than other poultry and lack of niacin or one of the other Bs like thiamine can cause them to go off their legs.
You might try getting them some vitamin B complex and some sav-a-chic or rooster booster.

What feed are they on?
Waterfowl need more niacin than other poultry and lack of niacin or one of the other Bs like thiamine can cause them to go off their legs.
You might try getting them some vitamin B complex and some sav-a-chic or rooster booster.
family farm scratch grains for all poultry with 8% protein. i may try that tomorrow since it’s too late now to go anywhere. thank you.

Last edited:
family farm scratch grains for all poultry with 8% protein. i may try that tomorrow since it’s too late now to go anywhere. thank you. i think it’s broken though
You may want to get all of the vitamin supplements I suggested and you need to switch to an all flock or multiflock feed, they need to be getting around 17% protein, 8% is far too low and scratch has next to no nutrients, scratch should be given as a treat, never their main diet.

You may want to get all of the vitamin supplements I suggested and you need to switch to an all flock or multiflock feed, they need to be getting around 17% protein, 8% is far too low and scratch has next to no nutrients, scratch should be given as a treat, never their main diet.
thank you very much i will! i thought the same thing but i didn’t buy the scratch. i will definitely be taking full on care of them now since the others apparently can’t when i’m gone.

i have a duckling that’s around 4 weeks old and they were doing perfectly fine up until i came home from a trip this weekend. i came home and got them out of the cage i have them in and it was just laying or sitting down. i tried to get it to stand up but it wouldn’t. when it did it just fell over and wouldn’t use it’s left leg at all. (the duckling isn’t outside yet because it’s still small and i read that they aren’t supposed to be outside yet). i took the duckling outside to try and swim to see if it would use that left leg and it won’t use it at all. it’s been cuddling and seems fine except it can’t walk and i’m freaking out cause i don’t know what’s wrong. it’s only been doing this for about 20 minutes and the other duckling is perfectly fine. there’s no bleeding, swelling, popped out/showing bones, or any other signs of trauma. i examined the foot for bumblefoot and there’s no signs of that and there’s no splinters. i have no clue what happened. it’s been eating, drinking, pooping, sleeping normal. we’ve been using pine bedding but i was about to try cedar. i haven’t had them in cedar yet because i just bought it. i’m freaking out and need some help:( !!
Do NOT USE CEDAR!! The oils are too insane/toxic to birds. Cedar is meant for rodents whom can tolerate those strong oils. Especially because it’s inevitable your ducks will eat some bedding- they all do, and then they’d get real sick- from what I understand. I haven’t see firsthand, but I heard from credible dources& prefer to err on the side of caution;)

Back
Top Bottom