4-5 Week Old Mixed / Unknown Flock

Jasfarm

Songster
Nov 16, 2021
New England
We have 7 chicks - roughly 5 weeks old, the NPIP person wasn’t clear on due dates.

We have one in particular I am concerned with. Her name is Anne Perkins, but she is mean! Chases the other chicks. Pecks them. Hogs food. Is she a roo? Or just head hen?

Also, any idea on what breed my feather footed friend is? Bramha?

Thanks in advance!

(Sorry for the photos! The only one that likes me is the grey one and white one. The others REFUSE to be held)

Attachments

• IMG_4584.jpeg
    IMG_4584.jpeg
    734.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4575.jpeg
    IMG_4575.jpeg
    686.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4570.jpeg
    IMG_4570.jpeg
    781.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4567.jpeg
    IMG_4567.jpeg
    505.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4572.jpeg
    IMG_4572.jpeg
    704.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4571.jpeg
    IMG_4571.jpeg
    638 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4570.jpeg
    IMG_4570.jpeg
    781.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4567.jpeg
    IMG_4567.jpeg
    505.5 KB · Views: 11
Behavior isn't really something to go on for sexing at that age. The mean one is head of the flock, but I wouldn't read more into it than that. If it is keeping the others from eating, set up another feed station, and another watering station if that is needed, too.

I think the feather footed one is a light Brahma cross, not purebred Brahma.

It is still a bit early to sex these chicks. I would give it another couple of weeks and post back if it isn't obvious by then.

Behavior isn't really something to go on for sexing at that age. The mean one is head of the flock, but I wouldn't read more into it than that. If it is keeping the others from eating, set up another feed station, and another watering station if that is needed, too.

I think the feather footed one is a light Brahma cross, not purebred Brahma.

It is still a bit early to sex these chicks. I would give it another couple of weeks and post back if it isn't obvious by then.
Ok - phew! We want a roo, but just one and I think the Barnyard Mix (all black with a mohawk) might be one. but as you said still a bit too early. Thank you again! Excited that “Penguin” is a Brahma. So cool!

The black and white one looks like my Silver Laced Wyandottes. I can vouch the chicks are so sweet and really don't mind being held at all. I think they like it! Haha
She told us she was a cuckoo maran! That’s why it is so confusing. I thought she looked like a Wyandotte as well. She is curious about me, but still won’t let me hold her. :( I should have held them more as babies!

She told us she was a cuckoo maran! That’s why it is so confusing. I thought she looked like a Wyandotte as well. She is curious about me, but still won’t let me hold her. :( I should have held them more as babies!
The black and white barred one probably is a cuckoo Marans, (if that's what she said, I mean. I wouldn't know how to tell a Cuckoo Marans chick from Barred Rock or Dominiques, personally.)

I meant this one:
3454671-78f7b26d5e5ca538b63b53024fd41fce.jpg

Although it's hard to see. Her feet aren't feathered, are they? Actually my SLWs have yellow feet now that I look closer, so now I'm not even sure! Lol :oops:

So, my $.02...

The fiesty chick looks like a cockerel Easter Egger- the red shoulders and break from red to patterned to red would be really unlikely in a pullet.

The cuckoo/barred is a pullet. It's got a single comb, so you can rule out Dominique. And, both Marans and Rocks 'comb out' early-ish, so since she still has a small yellow comb you should be in good shape.

Zero experience with Brahmas but that's a really pretty pullet.

And the black one it's really too hard to see comb and body, but nothing is screaming cockerel on that one. Does it have a pea comb? Single? Is it just kind of flat?!

All look like healthy chicks, and awesome advice from Jed to set up a couple feeders/waterers to keep the EE from being a little punk!

The black and white barred one probably is a cuckoo Marans, (if that's what she said, I mean. I wouldn't know how to tell a Cuckoo Marans chick from Barred Rock or Dominiques, personally.)

I meant this one:
View attachment 3490202
Although it's hard to see. Her feet aren't feathered, are they? Actually my SLWs have yellow feet now that I look closer, so now I'm not even sure! Lol :oops:
Yes! She is a feather footed chick

So, my $.02...

The fiesty chick looks like a cockerel Easter Egger- the red shoulders and break from red to patterned to red would be really unlikely in a pullet.

The cuckoo/barred is a pullet. It's got a single comb, so you can rule out Dominique. And, both Marans and Rocks 'comb out' early-ish, so since she still has a small yellow comb you should be in good shape.

Zero experience with Brahmas but that's a really pretty pullet.

And the black one it's really too hard to see comb and body, but nothing is screaming cockerel on that one. Does it have a pea comb? Single? Is it just kind of flat?!

All look like healthy chicks, and awesome advice from Jed to set up a couple feeders/waterers to keep the EE from being a little punk!
Thank you! Love the 2 cents because I saw the red and after some googling - they said cockerel when they have red shoulders. Anne looks like she might be an Andy.

Black is a single! I’m obsessed with the Mohawk!

Updates pics!!

Attachments

• IMG_4757.jpeg
    IMG_4757.jpeg
    856 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4758.jpeg
    IMG_4758.jpeg
    635.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4755.jpeg
    IMG_4755.jpeg
    652.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4756.jpeg