2 week old cockeral with crackling chest... Help Please!!

Well if it's something lodged in the throat maybe a vet could look down the throat and pull it out. Like removing foxtails from a dog's nose or ears. Just a thought. Would that work with a chicken?

at the time I had lost 6 chickens earlier (ten days ago) and then this started and they were showing respiratory symptoms..I honestly didn't want to wait and lose the whole flock if it could be stopped. I will stop the antibiotics asap and try the veggie oil down the throat.. How do you get them to take it without it going into their lungs?
You shouldve mentioned that your birds recently had respiratory symptoms in your first post!!!!!! This changes things.........give your birds the Tetroxy HCA-280. Forget the vegetable oil for your rooster. Purchase tylan 50 injectable and give your rooster 1/2cc tylan orally once a day for 5 days. Pull his wattles down and his mouth will open, then shoot the liquid in his mouth and immediately let go of his wattles so he can swallow the liquid on his own and not aspirate. Do the same thing with your other sick birds if the tetroxy doesnt work after the recommended treatment times.

You shouldve mentioned that your birds recently had respiratory symptoms in your first post!!!!!!   This changes things.........give your birds the Tetroxy HCA-280. Forget the vegetable oil for your rooster. Purchase tylan 50 injectable and give your rooster 1/2cc tylan orally once a day for 5 days. Pull his wattles down and his mouth will open, then shoot the liquid in his mouth and immediately let go of his wattles so he can swallow the liquid on his own and not aspirate. Do the same thing with your other sick birds if the tetroxy doesnt work after the recommended treatment times.

Thank you, very helpful

I just went through this with 5 chickens that I "rescued". They were living in poor conditions and the guy gave them to me. I didn't know any better... The first four had mild respiratory symptoms. Occasional sneezing, occasional bubbly eyes. The fifth one was a rooster that was left behind and I got him a month after the first four. His breathing was so rattly I could hear him from outside the Coop. He is anemic despite eating everything in sight. Had every form of abnormal poo (water, black, bright green, purple) I dreaded opening the door in the morning, I figured I would find him dead. Anyway, Tylan injections didn't help, neither did denagard. I decided to try bactrim (smz-tmp) which i had for my horses and St Johns wort. I figured he would either get better or it would kill him. After 24 hours, his breathing was almost normal and after 3 days he is completely fine and crowed for the first time. But, I also give them poultry cell and acv as he is extremely thin. Just a thought in case the other antibiotics don't work. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom