2 week old chick labored breathing, gasping, lethargy

I definitely agree. Also, make sure she doesn’t overheat. Provide enough heat to keep her comfortable. Is she able to move around in her own at all?
She is able to move a couple inches. I often touch where she is laying to make sure it's a good temp. I am also watching her breathing almost constantly as she's right next to me to make sure there's no heat stress

@Debbie292d is here! What do you suggest, Debbie? ❤️
I was just reading what you both were typing and you both are doing marvelous and I agree with what you've said!

I would really try get some nutrients into it via mashing some wet pellets with a fork and see if it will peck at it. Plain raw egg yolk can work wonders too.

I was just reading what you both were typing and you both are doing marvelous and I agree with what you've said!

I would really try get some nutrients into it via mashing some wet pellets with a fork and see if it will peck at it. Plain raw egg yolk can work wonders too.
Yes I am mixing pellets with egg yolk and electrolyte water! I syringe this as of now as all she is able to do is once in a while chirp, a move a couple inches. All while barely conscious or unconscious

I can try to offer some mashed up wet pellets later. Right now her little crop is full from her last meal which was twenty minutes ago

You're doing great! When you get the chick starter tomorrow those crumbles make mash so much easier!
Oh I know! I've had to do this before for a paralyzed hen. Those layer pellets hate mashing but it's what I had at the time. Hopefully tomorrow she'll be good enough to eat solid foods but I have a gut feeling she'll need more time than that. Overnight is the point where I've usually lost syringe fed chicks so I'll be so so excited if she's still here tomorrow morning. Should I check her crop overnight and if it's empty, feed for this case?

Oh I know! I've had to do this before for a paralyzed hen. Those layer pellets hate mashing but it's what I had at the time. Hopefully tomorrow she'll be good enough to eat solid foods but I have a gut feeling she'll need more time than that. Overnight is the point where I've usually lost syringe fed chicks so I'll be so so excited if she's still here tomorrow morning. Should I check her crop overnight and if it's empty, feed for this case?
Yes, if you're up and able to as chicks seem to empty their crops fast and be hungry again. I've got some now that I swear is every two hours. The little buggers are a day old and barely sleep as they just want to eat and poop.

Yes, if you're up and able to as chicks seem to empty their crops fast and be hungry again. I've got some now that I swear is every two hours. The little buggers are a day old and barley sleep as they just want to eat and poop.
She seems on average to mostly empty by hour three. I suspect she would fully empty by hour four. I just really wanted to pump nutrients into her so I fed when her crop still had a bit left in it

She seems on average to mostly empty by hour three. I suspect she would fully empty by hour four. I just really wanted to pump nutrients into her so I fed when her crop still had a bit left in it
You're taking such good care of her and I would expect you'll see a great improvement tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom