2 roosts

There is a lot I don't know about your specific situation so it's a little difficult to get too specific about what you should do. I sometimes, but not always, have problems with mature hens picking on juveniles on the roosts. It's usually a mature hen that is at the bottom of the adult pecking order that goes out of her way to be brutal to the younger ones when it does happen. There have been a few times that the juveniles actually tried to roost somewhere other than the roosts.

I cannot guarantee what will happen with yours. If you have the room in the coop, it won't hurt to put up another roost. I always believe the more room the better with chickens. They may or may not use it.

If you are having troubles with new ones yes I would put up another roost. I had issues when I added 3 new ones to my flock. Added another roost and now everyone is happy at night. No more roosting in the nest box because they are being pecked at.

Quote:
Great! Yes I caught my two 2 month olds sleeping the nest last night. I think I baby them too much because I am sure that that behavior is a baby thing to do.

I think it is a good idea. I built my coop with two roosts and all the chickens roosted on the same roost. I added four much younger birds to the coop and they went to the unused roost and with few exceptions they stay on their side. The exceptions are starting now as they are all about the same size so I occasionally find a new girl roosting with the older hens, but not exclusively. The odd thing I've noticed is that they all face Northeast. The o,lder chickens face the wall and the newer chickens face the same wall looking into the coop. Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom