2-day-old Call Duckling stumbling & neck weak - please help!

Thanks to you all for the help!!! :highfive:
I tried the lid of a bottle to offer water but she wasn't interested. Amazon delivered (yay!) and I think I just got a drop of Nutri-drench in her, but it was pretty challenging. She's so tiny! She's back in the incubator sleeping. Her sibling isn't that interested in water or trying wet Duck Starter Growth food. They were born April 29 - is it OK that they aren't eating yet? I've read up for hours before we got the eggs, but I have never cared for a call duck before, only Rouens.
They are only two days old, so it might be okay if the aren't eating yet. If not eating by tomorrow I think it might be time to intervene. Does your nearby tractor supply have any ducklings or chicks? If so, maybe getting a couple to help teach these two to eat would be a good idea, though most ducklings don't usually need this. What temp is your incubator at? I think 90 degrees and 50-60% humidity is ideal.

@DuckityLove77 hows your little Calls doing today?
@Miss Lydia - We are all grieving over here. Both of them were so beautiful and seemed to perk up and do well. Started drinking little sips of water, did the Nutri-drench. Then yesterday Angelica was fine and 20 minutes later she was gone. Today, Anise was bouncing around, even tried the warm water mash. He looked so peaceful, too peaceful, so we took him out and in my hands he opened his eyes, looked at me, and stopped breathing. I am crying just writing this and need to step away for a bit. We have 12 other littles (Rouen and Indian Runners) that have been hatching yesterday and today so we are busy, but even the joy of new birth with the heartbreak is hard. We've never lost a duckling. This new territory is very hard and has my daughter asking about animals and heaven. The only thing that makes sense to me is just because a life is small, or short, doesn't mean it wasn't important.
I appreciate all the help from everyone!
upload_2019-5-2_21-54-34.png

Back
Top Bottom