2-day-old Call Duckling stumbling & neck weak - please help!

DuckityLove77

Songster
6 Years
Apr 23, 2018
Wheaton, IL
We have a 2-day-old call duckling who needed an assisted hatch on April 29. One of her feet was curled so we applied a splint on April 30 and removed this morning on May 1. Angelica (no idea of gender - calling her "she" for now) seems to be much better. However, when Angelica tries to walk, she stumbles, falls on her back and can't right herself. In addition, her neck seems weak. She and the other call duck she hatched with have been in the incubator, but we moved them to a brooder this morning to try some water with my supervision. Although I taught them how by dipping their beaks, they didn't seem interested in water, so I haven't tried food yet. I dare not leave them alone in a brooder with water yet because she is unbalanced. Right now Angelica and Anise are snuggled together under a Brinsea heating plate in the brooder. Thoughts on what she needs? I'm thinking they both need water and food today but I'm concerned it will always have to be supervised. I'm including a photo from yesterday (she just snuggles into me and sleeps) and included a link to a video from this morning so you can see how she walks. I'm fearful of stepping away from her at all, so if I leave the room, I've been putting her back in the incubator...so, help is needed and welcome!
Angelica - 1 day old.JPG

Angelica trying to walk:

Do you have and nutri-drench? Every now and then I will get ducklings like this and I usually leave them in the incubator for a day or two longer. While in the incubator I will give a drop of two of nutri-drench a couple of time a day as well as a drop of two of water or Gatorade every 30-60 minutes.

When I give the drops, I give them under the tongue and this method seems to reduce the risk of them aspirating any fluid.

Edited to add:
Sometimes I will give the a drop of two of the vitamin b complex for cattle too.

Last edited:
Do you have and nutri-drench? Every now and then I will get ducklings like this and I usually leave them in the incubator for a day or two longer. While in the incubator I will give a drop of two of nutri-drench a couple of time a day as well as a drop of two of water or Gatorade every 30-60 minutes.

When I give the drops, I give them under the tongue and this method seems to reduce the risk of them aspirating any fluid.

Thank you, casportpony! :love I don't have nutridrench but I just ordered it on Amazon so by 9 pm today, I will. How do you administer the water/Gatorade - on a q-tip?
Do you think she'd be better off staying in her incubator with the other call duckling for today? I debated whether giving her room in a brooder would be like physical therapy for walking but the little Brinsea incubator seems like it would keep her resting since there isn't much room to move. It would mean Anise would join her since I can't separate her from her "brother" - you know ducks.

Hmm? Did you provide it fluids by hand?
Honestly I leave them sometimes over 24 hours in a margarine container and never force fluids. The baby sounds to have fluid in its lungs. You can hold upside down while patting it back and then swing to try to dislodge the fluid but it might not help.

Thank you, casportpony! :love I don't have nutridrench but I just ordered it on Amazon so by 9 pm today, I will. How do you administer the water/Gatorade - on a q-tip?
Do you think she'd be better off staying in her incubator with the other call duckling for today? I debated whether giving her room in a brooder would be like physical therapy for walking but the little Brinsea incubator seems like it would keep her resting since there isn't much room to move. It would mean Anise would join her since I can't separate her from her "brother" - you know ducks.
When I give the fluids I use a one ml syringe, though I bet you could use a 3 ml syringe too. Calls are quite small, and some have very short bills, so opening their bills can be a little challenging.

When I do it I open the bill and place a small drop under the tongue then let go of the head to let them swallow.

Hmm? Did you provide it fluids by hand?
Honestly I leave them sometimes over 24 hours in a margarine container and never force fluids. The baby sounds to have fluid in its lungs. You can hold upside down while patting it back and then swing to try to dislodge the fluid but it might not help.
Thanks, chickens really & casportpony! It is such a relief to have input and a plan.
I probably shouldn't have dipped her beak into the water dish. The other duckling did fine with the water and drank again on his own, but prob too early for her. I'll try these suggestions. They are back in the incubator sweetly sleeping for now. I need to run to my daughter at school for now. I can check back later!

Thanks, chickens really & casportpony! It is such a relief to have input and a plan.
I probably shouldn't have dipped her beak into the water dish. The other duckling did fine with the water and drank again on his own, but prob too early for her. I'll try these suggestions. They are back in the incubator sweetly sleeping for now. I need to run to my daughter at school for now. I can check back later!
Instead of dipping the beak, you can offer water by using something like the lid to a Gatorade or water bottle and bring it up to the bottom of their bill. This seems to work well for the weaker ones.

Last edited:
Instead of dipping the beak, you can offer water by using something like the lid to a Gatorade or water bottle and bring it up to the bottom of their bill. This seems to work well for the weaker ones.
Thanks to you all for the help!!! :highfive:
I tried the lid of a bottle to offer water but she wasn't interested. Amazon delivered (yay!) and I think I just got a drop of Nutri-drench in her, but it was pretty challenging. She's so tiny! She's back in the incubator sleeping. Her sibling isn't that interested in water or trying wet Duck Starter Growth food. They were born April 29 - is it OK that they aren't eating yet? I've read up for hours before we got the eggs, but I have never cared for a call duck before, only Rouens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom