2 Broodys hatch chicks today

Brookliner

Songster
7 Years
Mar 18, 2012
Southern New Hampshire
On August 8 th I set 10 Ameracuna eggs under 2 of my bantam hens that were broody. 5 eggs under my Bantam Black Cochin Frizzel Julia and 5 under my Bantam Ameracuna hen Lola. Lola laid 2 extra eggs so she ended up with 7 eggs and Julia ended up with 5 + 1 more from another Bantam Ameracuna hen I have. This morning when I went out to feed and water the chickens I heard some peeps...so I looked into the broody box that Lola was in and there were some egg shells and 3 chicks (2 hatched from her eggs). I then checked Julia and she had 3 chicks also. They are both still sitting so I hope more will have arrived by tomorrow morning. I set up the chick starter and the chick waterers (with electrolytes). The hens do all the work. Here are pictures...

Julia's 3 chicks and 4 eggs (she was off the nest eating/drinking)

Lola with 2 chicks one more was under her.

This is my new broody coop. Finished just in time for the hatch. Julia is on the top with her nest and chicks. Lola is in the old broody box below (it is off my main coop). I will move her and her chicks into the 1st floor of the new coop when the hatch is complete.

Last edited:
UPDATE...
Lola had 2 more chicks hatch. I moved her and her family into the first floor of the new coop. I decided that since my older Cochin Stella (my avatar) had gone broody again. I moved her into the old coop broody box and collected all the unhitched eggs and put them under her. She is so happy to have eggs under her that I am not collecting. We will see if any more hatch. If not in the next 4 days I will throw them out before they explode. Pictures to come.

Cute! You can barely see that one chick in the pine shavings-the color is so close.

Back
Top Bottom