14-15 weeks old rooster behavior

Leah5150

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
frank is an EE roo about 14-15 weeks old. He has shown some of the typical behavior like grabbing the pullets by the neck and jumping on them. This morning he chased a buff out of the coop as soon as we opened the door. She was squealing and he wasn't letting up. I couldn't see if he had her or it was just chasing. They went under the coop and he had her pinned between him and a post. He wouldn't let her move and was biting and pecking at her head. After a minute we broke it up and got him away from her. All the other pullets are quite nervous and a little skiddish around him this morning. I kept watching from my kitchen and he started doing this tip toes thing. Not quite stomping his feet, but he would do this dance like thing on his toes for a few seconds then drop back down. The girls weren't very fond of it and are keeping together.

Is this normal behavior for his age? Should I keep a closer eye on the flock and is this behavior something I should be worried about? I cant have an over aggressive guy around since we have 4 kids.

Thanks,
Leah

Somewhat typical, hormone driven, cockerel behavior. He's one to keep an eye on, but otherwise, somewhat typical of a cockerel who doesn't know what to do with all his newfound hormones and desires.

Toddlers and sexed up cockerels and roosters do not mix in any case, at any time. Even the "good" roosters sometimes get upset observing the herky-jerky movements of a toddler around their hens. They cannot interpret those movements properly.

Somewhat typical, hormone driven, cockerel behavior.  He's one to keep an eye on, but otherwise, somewhat typical of a cockerel who doesn't know what to do with all his newfound hormones and desires.

Toddlers and sexed up cockerels and roosters do not mix in any case, at any time.  Even the "good" roosters sometimes get upset observing the herky-jerky movements of a toddler around their hens.  They cannot interpret those movements properly.  

They are in a closed run since we do have a 2 year old. I don't let my littlest do anything with the flock unless its to pet a pullet I have taken out. The other kids are 6 and up and the too doesn't have an issue with them. If anything, my 6 year old daughter is top of the pecking order. ;)

I will keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't hurt any of the girls and make my presence known a bit more in the run and coop.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom