11 week old rhode island reds

Nicci0110

Songster
Mar 15, 2023
Senatobia, MS
I have 6 rhode island reds who were fed Purina grower crumble. I am now giving them an organic layer crumble. I tried to give them some pellets that were also organic. They will not eat the pellets. They will eat mealworms but will not eat tomatoes, lettuce, beans. They picked at the cooked beans and grapes but they are soooo picky. Any suggestions for feed for them? I'm trying to get away from crumble to allow a deer feeder to dispense for me. The crumble won't drop. Also 2 have started eating their own feather and pecking their tail right above their butts.

You shouldn't be feeding 11 week old pullets layer feed.
They should be getting a balanced diet that offers 18-20% protein. That could explain the feather plucking if you have ruled out external parasites.
Don't offer them anything but the complete feed you want them to eat. They won't starve themselves. As long as the feed you are giving them isn't moldy or spoiled in some way, they will eventually eat it.
I used to feed half dry/half fermented Flock Raiser. It offers 20% protein and all flock calcium levels. Due to cost, I switched to 22% broiler mash formulated at my local feed store and 18% Nutrena grower/starter crumble. The crumble is fed dry from a total of 10' long hanging PVC troughs and the broiler mash is fermented and fed from a heated dog bowl. They love it and I'm saving almost $25/100# of feed. There was no muss, no fuss when I switched. That's all they got and they ate it. They have 2 containers of oyster shell for free choice feeding that I keep topped off for them.

You shouldn't be feeding 11 week old pullets layer feed.
They should be getting a balanced diet that offers 18-20% protein. That could explain the feather plucking if you have ruled out external parasites.
Don't offer them anything but the complete feed you want them to eat. They won't starve themselves. As long as the feed you are giving them isn't moldy or spoiled in some way, they will eventually eat it.
I used to feed half dry/half fermented Flock Raiser. It offers 20% protein and all flock calcium levels. Due to cost, I switched to 22% broiler mash formulated at my local feed store and 18% Nutrena grower/starter crumble. The crumble is fed dry from a total of 10' long hanging PVC troughs and the broiler mash is fermented and fed from a heated dog bowl. They love it and I'm saving almost $25/100# of feed. There was no muss, no fuss when I switched. That's all they got and they ate it. They have 2 containers of oyster shell for free choice feeding that I keep topped off for them.
The layer pellets we bought are 18% protein so I assumed that would be ok. It's fresh. I appreciate the help. It's I really difficult for me to get to the feed store as they are open only when I'm working. Any suggestions from tractor supply?

The layer pellets we bought are 18% protein so I assumed that would be ok. It's fresh. I appreciate the help. It's I really difficult for me to get to the feed store as they are open only when I'm working. Any suggestions from tractor supply?

Check your local Tractor Supply for Purina Flock Raiser (crumble) or Nutrena NatureWise All Flock (pellet).

The issue with your current layer feed is the amount of Calcium that it contains. Pullets that are not laying should not have that much calcium. When feeding an "all flock" type feed, you will need to offer Oyster Shell on the side, as the all flocks are lower in calcium than a laying pullet/hen needs.

Check your local Tractor Supply for Purina Flock Raiser (crumble) or Nutrena NatureWise All Flock (pellet).

The issue with your current layer feed is the amount of Calcium that it contains. Pullets that are not laying should not have that much calcium. When feeding an "all flock" type feed, you will need to offer Oyster Shell on the side, as the all flocks are lower in calcium than a laying pullet/hen needs.
Awesome. Thanks for the help! Its only been a week so hopefully they are ok

Back
Top Bottom