10 month old rooster almost killed a hen

AmeliaEgghart

Chirping
May 17, 2018
Pennsylvania
One of my hens (buff Orpington) was attacking strangely two days ago and wanted held. I saw some blood on her so checked her out. She had HUGE gashes down both sides, right where the roosters talons would rake down her sides when mating. Took her to the vet. Full thickness lacerations meaning you could see muscle. After an expensive vet visit she’s a house chicken for the next few weeks until stitches come out.
I know it’s him because we’ve seen him mount her—not even to mate— and scream and peck at her head. We separated him from the ladies (he’s got all 12 hens bare on their backs and needing saddles) immediately.
Now tonight when I went to get him out of the outer run and put him in the isolation coop, he tried to attack me. That’s a first.
He’s a Brahma and up until now has been pretty sweet. I’ve had him since he was a day old and he’s been treated like a baby. He’s rough with all of them but this was just awful.
Will separating him for a few weeks help with this? Or should I start trying to find him a new home now?

I had a 4 month old bielefelder cockerel that was doing that. We tried separating him and reintroducing him but he was worse when we let them mingle again and drug one of the pullets by the neck to his bachelor pad while she screamed. When I had to treat bloody head and neck wounds, we had to make the decision to permanently remove him from the flock. I have to say, the whole pen is a happier calmer place.

Might be worth a shot to try reintroducing, but after my experience, I don't think I will again.

He's being a total jerk, and your flock is better off without him. This behavior, to his flockmates, and towards you, is just too much, and you or another family can have a nice chicken dinner, which is where he needs to be.
If you rehome him, do it with full disclosure, for someone's dinner.
Are his flockmates all his age? It's best to raise cockerels with adults, so they can teach the youngsters better manners. Also not a sure thing, but often results in cockerels having more civilized behaviors.
Mary

He's being a total jerk, and your flock is better off without him. This behavior, to his flockmates, and towards you, is just too much, and you or another family can have a nice chicken dinner, which is where he needs to be.
If you rehome him, do it with full disclosure, for someone's dinner.
Are his flockmates all his age? It's best to raise cockerels with adults, so they can teach the youngsters better manners. Also not a sure thing, but often results in cockerels having more civilized behaviors.
Mary
Four of his flock mates are a year older. My Jersey Giant has tried to put him in his place, but he is really big and just laughs at her.
I would absolutely have full disclosure if I rehome him. No one should get a nasty surprise.

Close to a year old, he isn’t having the huge hormone surges of 6 months ago. Of course, we don’t know where in the world you are at, so maybe spring or winter. If spring is around the corner, it could be impacting his behavior a little bit. However, he sounds like a more aggressive temperament and certainly not a gentleman. I vote to re-home him or send to freezer camp.

we have a multi-age flock, including a head rooster. We are seeing better behavior, overall, with the younger males since they have an older male and older hens and pullets to teach them many aspects of proper chicken behavior. It’s too bad this male of yours wasn’t receptive to the older hens teachings.

Is it possible for you to leave him separated from the flock for a while? Lock him in a bachelor pad for a month or two and make him work for the girls attention, or do you feel like he's beyond saving? If he has a dozen ladies needing saddles then maybe you'd be better off without him.

Back
Top Bottom