10 month Australorp still not laying?

Areyoucluckingme

Chirping
Jun 14, 2022
I know Australorps are supposed to be really reliable egg layers and I've got several who are, but this gal is just taking forever!! She was hatched in May of 2022 and isn't laying! ALL my other chickens started laying early this year - in January. I even have chicks from July 2022 that started laying in January at only 5.5 months old. Any ideas?

Yes unfortunately they are confined to a fenced run due to predators. Not too many sneaky places to lay right now :)
Is she from a hatchery? Or breeder quality? It is odd for them to take more than 6-9 months to start to lay. I think @aart can share how to check the pelvic bones to see if they are getting close. Hopefully she will share.

Is she from a hatchery? Or breeder quality? It is odd for them to take more than 6-9 months to start to lay. I think @aart can share how to check the pelvic bones to see if they are getting close. Hopefully she will share.
We hatched her ourselves along with her brother (who we no longer have). She looks beautiful and healthy and has a bright red comb so I really thought she'd show some actions now. She is a purebred but definitely not fancy breeding.

How do you know she isn't laying?
Basically process of elimination and the fact that I've never seen her in a nesting box. I have 9 chickens total....

1 is a rooster
2 are only 4 months and not laying
1 lays green eggs

That leaves 5 other hens that lay and I've only seen 4 of them in the box and I'm only getting 3 to 4 eggs a day. I should be getting more than that if all 6 of my layers were laying!

I work from home and I go outside to see them regularly and she's the only one i'm not seeing go into any nesting boxes.

Back
Top Bottom