1 week old chick is tiny, peeping constantly...t

Dixiebazarre

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 27, 2014
Bogart GA

Teeny tiny week old chocolate orphington is always peeping! (all the way on the right close to water) He eats and drinks (though not enough so I hand feed several times a day) no pasty butt, is warm enough. He doesn't seem to be in pain, just confused and upset. He's adopted the large silkie chick in the pic to be mommy, and the silkie is great about it, even looking for him when I take him out of the brooder. I'm at a loss. I want this little one to make it, and my kiddos will be devastated if he doesn't :(

Last edited:
Sometimes you just get a loud one. One of mine was MUCH more vocal than all the others. She wasn't sick, just demanding. She's still the pushiest of the girls. She's always at the front of the line. First to see what I have. First to investigate new things. She's the only one that pays any attention to the dog (she likes to peck him and keep him in his place).

If she's eating and drinking, there's not a lot more you can do for her. If you're concerned, you could get some Nutri Drench.

http://www.amazon.com/BOVIDR-LABORATORIES-POULTRY-NUTRI-DRENCH-OUNCE/dp/B00GSOD8KG

Last edited:
Just like @HighStreetCoop , I had a chick that was very noisy and peeping. As for the food goes, I would keep feeding him with your hand and give him Sav-a-chick, just to give him a boost. He is so adorable, hope he makes it.
smile.png

Just like @HighStreetCoop , I had a chick that was very noisy and peeping. As for the food goes, I would keep feeding him with your hand and give him Sav-a-chick, just to give him a boost. He is so adorable, hope he makes it.
smile.png

I gave mine Save-a-Chick electrolytes and probiotic mixed for the entire first two weeks.

How on earth do you get them to drink it? Should I just put it in water for everyone? I actually bought some save a chick yesterday.

You just put it out as the only water source. Use 1/4 of a pack for the quart waterer (that way you don't waste it since it has to be made fresh every day).

Last edited:
He's doing great! I actually got 2 more little ones and put them into a brooder together. Added electrolytes to the water and gave them the warmer lamp. He's so happy and actually has a few feathers now! He's not peeing nearly as much but the new barred rock has taken over with the peeping!!

Last edited:
There is always a super loud chick. I have five little cochins that were hatched by a rogue broody in December. One of them was super loud and never stopped peeping when I had them inside our laundry room when it was 0 degrees.

Chicks raised without a mama are always more stressed out and tend to peep until you've been driven to drink
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom