Young Americauna Hens are fighting...

Tsheaby

Songster
5 Years
May 22, 2018
Hello everyone!
First time chicken owner here, and will be posting in the “help me identify a gender” forumn tomorrow when I have good pictures, but here’s my concern on behavior/disposition:

I have 4 hens I raised that are now about 9 weeks old:
Martha - Americauna
Abigail - Blue Americauna
Dolley - Rhode Island Red
Lucille - Amberlink

Dolley and Lucille are SO sweet. They are quite mild tempered, let me pick them up, and sort of keep to themselves.

Martha and Abigail are “sassy” so to speak, and I’ve noticed at about 6 weeks old these two started to fight with one another. I figured this is them establishing “head hen” but this behavior has continued over the last 3 weeks, even moving them outside from their brooder into their much larger coop.

Martha I now believe MAY even be a roo. “She” is VERY vocal and the only one that “screeches” when I come with treats/when excited. She attacks Abigail and poor Dolley out of nowhere. Dolley is submissive and runs away but Abigail will stick up for herself, they will fluff their chest feathers and have a stand off...

I am having trouble finding if Americauna’s typically display this behavior and/or if Martha is actually a ROO and is picking on the others...

Anyone with experience with Americaunas ever have this issue of dominance or aggression?

Abigail however is DEFINITELY a hen, she has a thin pink comb, but Martha has a wider/red comb and more of a saddle than Abigail. Being that’s Martha is a standard Americauna and Abigail a “Blue Americauna”, they are the same size with similar appearances physically but clearly have differences. Again, I’ll post pictures with this tomorrow in the other forumn, but just looking for advice on this behavior and disposition.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I thought I also might mention, the reason I am concerned is because my county does not allow us to have Roosters.

Unfortunately if it’s discovered Martha is actually a Martin, I’ll have to take her back or give away. :(

However, if this seems to be normal behavior, advice would be welcomed! I feel bad the others are getting attacked/picked on.

Chickens doing what chickens do. There will be a matriarch, you can keep getting rid of the "mean" one, but one will keep taking her place until you get down to one bird. About the best thing to temper the hostility of a matriarch is a good mature patriarch.

Back
Top Bottom