worms in 1 month old bantam chicks please help me save them (warning: pictures)

Sometimes they prefer the grower feed made into a mash with water.
I sometimes make it with water and then mix it into yoghurt.
I make it with water too but maybe the consistency is not the appropriate, I will try making more watery and put it some yoghurt. Let's see how turn around.

That's the harder part, the dosage, 15ml is the bottle and I don't know the Vehículo C.S.P...100ml thing I know is the same as excipients, but it confuses me more is why 100ml in a 15ml bottle and how they affect the others ingredients.
I believe the label shows the quantity of each deworming substance, Praziquantel , Pyrantel,and Albendazole, in 100 ml of product. If you divide these number by 100, you will know how much is in 1ml of product ; to know how much is in the 15 ml bottle, divide by 6.6666.
But you must start by calculating how much mg of each substance you need for each individual chick.
Are you able to do the calculation with the links provided, or do you need help ?

I have used Praziquantel for two of my adult chickens and it was extremely effective with a slightly lower dosage than the one given by so I would dose conservatively or like others have said give two lower doses a week apart.

As for the role of the excipient, I also don't have access where I live to approved poultry meds. When my vets prescribes medications meant for humans or other animals, she says it doesn't matter what the excipient is and that I can either syringe it directly or mix it with scrambled egg. In your case it would better to dose each chick individually either in a tiny amount of food or with a syringe to be sure they get enough.

I didn't see if you mentioned in what form the product came. If it's a gel that doesn't mix well in water, mix it like you would do a mayonnaise, putting the medication in first, then adding and mixing very small amount of water in.

At one point, I was in a desperate situation to get a dewormer that worked for tapeworms and did not require a prescription where I live, so I ordered Worm-out gel from jedds.com. It took only a week to ship from the US to France but I had to pay tax so it was expensive. It's extremely convenient because it's possible either to dilute it in water for the whole flock or to be given with a syringe individually. But in your case I probably would not wait a whole week.

Thank you so much! Do you know anything for their guts?, I completely forgot to mention the butts of the chicks look like purple or black and when I touch them it they make a sound like it hurts them, the one who die it was similar and its intestines were that color. There is no problem to given vitamins many days?, the one I have says 3 days of treatment.
That could be coming from the acid in all of the fruit? Just a guess. Better nutrition will help their poop.

I'd give them a bath to get that all off of them. You may have to soak their butt for a few minutes then gently try remove it or cut it if you have to. Then I'd get them some probiotics. Sugar-free yogurt is one good thing. They also make powders that can go in their water here. A couple are called Hydro-Hen and Sav-a-Chick but there's many.

Our vitamins like Nutradrench and Poultry Cell, we can give them every other day or so forever. If yours is saying only give for three days, then that's what I'd do. Maybe you could wait a week or two and do the three days again?

I make it with water too but maybe the consistency is not the appropriate, I will try making more watery and put it some yoghurt. Let's see how turn around.
Take the seeds away. Only have their feed and occasional yogurt available to them. It's important they eat nutritious food because this is part of the reason they are having problems.

They want to eat what they like best, so it's time they eat what YOU want them to.

I believe the label shows the quantity of each deworming substance, Praziquantel , Pyrantel,and Albendazole, in 100 ml of product. If you divide these number by 100, you will know how much is in 1ml of product ; to know how much is in the 15 ml bottle, divide by 6.6666.
But you must start by calculating how much mg of each substance you need for each individual chick.
Are you able to do the calculation with the links provided, or do you need help ?

I have used Praziquantel for two of my adult chickens and it was extremely effective with a slightly lower dosage than the one given by so I would dose conservatively or like others have said give two lower doses a week apart.

As for the role of the excipient, I also don't have access where I live to approved poultry meds. When my vets prescribes medications meant for humans or other animals, she says it doesn't matter what the excipient is and that I can either syringe it directly or mix it with scrambled egg. In your case it would better to dose each chick individually either in a tiny amount of food or with a syringe to be sure they get enough.

I didn't see if you mentioned in what form the product came. If it's a gel that doesn't mix well in water, mix it like you would do a mayonnaise, putting the medication in first, then adding and mixing very small amount of water in.

At one point, I was in a desperate situation to get a dewormer that worked for tapeworms and did not require a prescription where I live, so I ordered Worm-out gel from jedds.com. It took only a week to ship from the US to France but I had to pay tax so it was expensive. It's extremely convenient because it's possible either to dilute it in water for the whole flock or to be given with a syringe individually. But in your case I probably would not wait a whole week.
Yes. I was going to post the same thing. It is mg/100ml.
I think the product is a liquid because it talks about a dose in drops for cats and dogs.

Mmm...
Are you telling that in the bottle there are only 300.3mg (2000mg/6.66) of praziquantel?
and if the dosage of praziquantel to kill tapeworms is 10-20 mg/kg (I will take 10mg/kg)
Then:
10mg .............................1000g (It needs 10mg/kg)
(x=750*10/1000)7.5mg....750g (I need 7.5mg)
Then:

15ml.................................300.3mg ( 15ml contains 300.3mg))
(x=10*15/300.3)0.49ml..........10mg (how much ml contains 10mg of praziquantel)
If I understood and my maths are not wrong. Do I need to give to the bantam rooster 0.49ml of the dewormer in the little bottle?.
I didn't mentioned but it's liquid.

That could be coming from the acid in all of the fruit? Just a guess. Better nutrition will help their poop.

I'd give them a bath to get that all off of them. You may have to soak their butt for a few minutes then gently try remove it or cut it if you have to. Then I'd get them some probiotics. Sugar-free yogurt is one good thing. They also make powders that can go in their water here. A couple are called Hydro-Hen and Sav-a-Chick but there's many.

Our vitamins like Nutradrench and Poultry Cell, we can give them every other day or so forever. If yours is saying only give for three days, then that's what I'd do. Maybe you could wait a week or two and do the three days again?
They are very clean externally, the dark purple I see is internally, I can see it through their skin, I read that parasites can destroy organs and such, that's why I've think that what I see is blood in their intestines caused by parasites, but it's just a guess too. I gave them yogurt but I buyed another probiotic too, the more kind of good bacterias, the better, right?

I found it weird when I read the prospect of the vitamins, maybe it's too strong? I will search another when I end the one I have and see the differences. Thanks for the idea of give them after a week another dosis of vitamins, I think is a good idea.

Take the seeds away. Only have their feed and occasional yogurt available to them. It's important they eat nutritious food because this is part of the reason they are having problems.

They want to eat what they like best, so it's time they eat what YOU want them to.
today I gave them only once, and the growing feed was all the time but they barely touch it in the morning, before going to sleep they eat a bit more, but their crop was not too small for the chicks, so I wonder if they found insects, the worst was the rooster he only ate the seeds and reject completly the growing feed, I read somewhere that chickens don't like changes and it's better to make them slowly. Tomorrow I will not give them seeds, only their feed and the dewormer.

Mmm...
Are you telling that in the bottle there are only 300.3mg (2000mg/6.66) of praziquantel?
Yes.
and if the dosage of praziquantel to kill tapeworms is 10-20 mg/kg (I will take 10mg/kg)
Then:
10mg .............................1000g (It needs 10mg/kg)
(x=750*10/1000)7.5mg....750g (I need 7.5mg)
I think up to that point the calculation is correct, though I have difficulty reading it (guess different countries don't write out the maths the same).
Then:

15ml.................................300.3mg ( 15ml contains 300.3mg))
(x=10*15/300.3)0.49ml..........10mg (how much ml contains 10mg of praziquantel)
If I understood and my maths are not wrong. Do I need to give to the bantam rooster 0.49ml of the dewormer in the little bottle?.
I don't find the same number.
I started from 100 ml of product contains 2000 mg of Praziquantel (2g).
1 ml of product will contain 20mg of Praziquantel.
You want 7.5 mg for the rooster. To get from the 20 mg in 1 ml to 7.5 mg : 20/7.5 =2.666.
To find the quantity of product needed, you need to divide 1 ml by 2.666 ; that is 0.37 ml of product.

Then from that I would do an average weight for the chicks of 150 grams so you just need to divide the dose by five for each chick. That is 0.07 mg which I am afraid will be hard to dose correctly.
If you have pharmacies or drugstore ask for the smallest measuring syringe they have.

The Pyrantel dose will actually be lower than it needs to be. Pyrantel kills the roundworms (nematodes, the longer worms in your picture) so if they survive, maybe in a few months you will need to dose them with the Piperazine you have.

For the starter feed, if they don't have it as a mash, one tip is to put it on the floor instead of in a plate.
But I wouldn't worry too much about that, although they do need nutrition. My chicks never accepted to eat starter feed until their broody had left them at six weeks because the momma did not let them and they were still healthy. I gave them like you scrambled egg, mixed crushed grains and healthy bread. I know not everyone agrees on this but my point of view is don't let them starve, better if they eat what they chose than if they don't eat at all.

I didn't mentioned but it's liquid.
Good- easier to use !

Back
Top Bottom