worms in 1 month old bantam chicks please help me save them (warning: pictures)

Hi again! gladly all looks active right now, I wanna share how it goes until now: The deworming day's afteernoon everyone there were still larvae and proglottids(?) in their poops, next day hen, rooster and one chick does not droppedd anymore, but two chicks kept dropping them, three days after deworming one chick kept dropping proglottids(?) and another chick dropped alive larvae so I gave the dewormer to both again, 2 days (today) after the 2nd deworming to chicks there is still proglottids(?') in one chick (I dont' know about the other because I can't catch him pooping), I dont know if they are alive or not, temperature is 10°C/50°F min and 15°C/19°F max.
Do you know if can be another kind of worm? I'm attaching the picture of today, the color of poop it worries me too, the chick does not poop like that all the time but its firts poops in the morning looked similar ultimately

Attachments

• after deworming 2 times.jpg
    after deworming 2 times.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Hi again! gladly all looks active right now, I wanna share how it goes until now: The deworming day's afteernoon everyone there were still larvae and proglottids(?) in their poops, next day hen, rooster and one chick does not droppedd anymore, but two chicks kept dropping them, three days after deworming one chick kept dropping proglottids(?) and another chick dropped alive larvae so I gave the dewormer to both again, 2 days (today) after the 2nd deworming to chicks there is still proglottids(?') in one chick (I dont' know about the other because I can't catch him pooping), I dont know if they are alive or not, temperature is 10°C/50°F min and 15°C/19°F max.
Do you know if can be another kind of worm? I'm attaching the picture of today, the color of poop it worries me too, the chick does not poop like that all the time but its firts poops in the morning looked similar ultimately
I don't think it could be another kind of poultry worms, unless you have some species in Bolivia that are very specific.
Here is a good description of the various worms that affect poultry :
https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultr...y#Pathogenesis-and-Clinical-Findings_v3341894

Tapeworms segments often come out progressively of the fecal matter. If you leave it for five to ten minutes and you see more of those things looking like moving rice grains, it sounds like tapeworms.

The poop looks like it has intestinal shedding with it. It's something that can happen once in a while in healthy chickens and more often when they have parasites. Nothing to panic about.

Personally, I would not do another dose right away. I think I would wait things out. But if you feel like you want to try another dose, you should do it in ten days.

Are the chicks all acting healthy and eating normally ?

I don't think it could be another kind of poultry worms, unless you have some species in Bolivia that are very specific.
Here is a good description of the various worms that affect poultry :
https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultr...y#Pathogenesis-and-Clinical-Findings_v3341894

Tapeworms segments often come out progressively of the fecal matter. If you leave it for five to ten minutes and you see more of those things looking like moving rice grains, it sounds like tapeworms.
I've see them like 5 minutes and they does not move, I don't know if it's because the cold or if they are dead, I will stay watching longer next time. In some poops they look like sesame seeds, in another they look very spherical and sometimes a bit smaller, that's what confused me more.
The poop looks like it has intestinal shedding with it. It's something that can happen once in a while in healthy chickens and more often when they have parasites. Nothing to panic about.
I was thinking about that too, but it was my first time seeing that much, so I worried.
Personally, I would not do another dose right away. I think I would wait things out. But if you feel like you want to try another dose, you should do it in ten days.
Yeah, I think I'll wait, it's too much for a little chick if I keep dosing it, maybe I'll try after a month or so.
Are the chicks all acting healthy and eating normally ?
They are active, drink well, they are still learning to eat their food but they keep foraging and their crop looks good at night and empty in the morning, their poops looks solid, just this morning I see two watery poops but I don't know which one did it. There is just one chick (the one who ate part of the hen dose and before yesterday ate an apple seed) when they all rest in the day, it rests a little more and hide its head between its wings.
Thank you for keep helping me! I'll read the link and I'll try to find out which kind of dewormer people use for tapeworms in chicken, here in my country, maybe there are resistence or something like that.

Thank you for keep helping me! I'll read the link and I'll try to find out which kind of dewormer people use for tapeworms in chicken, here in my country, maybe there are resistence or something like that.
When I first encountered tapeworms I had success deworming with Flubendazole (a different azole than Fenbendazole), but the second and third time I used it, it did not work.
If you do a search on BYC you can see it was effective killing tapeworms for some chicken keepers and not for others.
If it works, it is the best choice in regard to the lesser damage for the environment and for the chicken's gut.

The most common dewormer for tapeworms in my country is niclosamide (ingredient name) but it is beginning to be ineffective due to resistance. I know neither flubendazole or niclosamide are sold in the US.

Alternatives for tapeworms are Albendazole, which has also encountered a lot of resistance, and Nitazoxanide, which is not allowed for veterinary use in my country.

Some BYC members treat for tapeworms very often. I chose to focus on trying to keep my chickens healthy even with the worms.

It doesn't apply for chicks, but there is also the matter of egg withdrawal. I am being on the cautious side and apply a one month withdrawal following my vet's recommendation for any substance that is theoretically forbidden for laying hens. Others don't do like this and follow shorter withdrawals, or even none.

If you chose to keep on trying to deworm, your best luck to find what dewormers are accessible is looking at products sold for ornament birds, such as pigeons and doves.

When I first encountered tapeworms I had success deworming with Flubendazole (a different azole than Fenbendazole), but the second and third time I used it, it did not work.
If you do a search on BYC you can see it was effective killing tapeworms for some chicken keepers and not for others.
If it works, it is the best choice in regard to the lesser damage for the environment and for the chicken's gut.
The most common dewormer for tapeworms in my country is niclosamide (ingredient name) but it is beginning to be ineffective due to resistance. I know neither flubendazole or niclosamide are sold in the US.
Alternatives for tapeworms are Albendazole, which has also encountered a lot of resistance, and Nitazoxanide, which is not allowed for veterinary use in my country.
I don't think there is flubendazole in my country, for human parasites exists albendazole in online drugstores, for dogs usually is ivermectin the most used I think, only one time I've seen albendazole been used an it was injection.
What I've found weird is why (it looks like) it works only in some of my chickens, or maybe it worked parcially or it didn't work well because the load of worms are huge, or because they are chicks or because I put it in the meat while to the others I give them part of the antiparasitic directly because they didn't ate the whole food with the antiparasitic, that doubt does not makes me sleep well.

Some BYC members treat for tapeworms very often. I chose to focus on trying to keep my chickens healthy even with the worms.
I don't want to worm my chickens very often. I've read that the host can get antibody defence, wich is better than worming. I'm just worried now because I see more than ten proglottids in a little chick's poop and only one in an adult and I feel bad, I think at least I need to lower the worms, because I fear the small backyard where the chicks forage along with plenty of wild birds leaving their poops everywhere will have thousand of cestodes' eggs in no time.
It doesn't apply for chicks, but there is also the matter of egg withdrawal. I am being on the cautious side and apply a one month withdrawal following my vet's recommendation for any substance that is theoretically forbidden for laying hens. Others don't do like this and follow shorter withdrawals, or even none.
Good to know, I can't remember what active ingredient needed like 70 days withdrawal, but I wonder if the same apply for eggs that want to be incubated, because that information are not disclosed.
If you chose to keep on trying to deworm, your best luck to find what dewormers are accessible is looking at products sold for ornament birds, such as pigeons and doves.
The first day I went to look for dewormers I went to a veterinary shop where they sell little parrots, and sometimes I've saw they have chicks to sell, and I felt lost when they offer me piperazine saying that it will kill all kind of parasites, they only show me the one with praziquantel when I ask them specifically something with that ingredient.
Fortunately, I've found a national lab that it has a product (pill) with an image of a dog, a cat and rooster, sadly I can't find the prospect in the web but it shows its ingredients: Tiabendazol 200 mg Mebendazol 100 mg Levamisol HCl 40 mg, now the thing is if there is that product in my city. There is no mebendazol in https://poultrydvm.com but I found it in this page https://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2514&Itemid=2787 however in the dose they are talking about 120ppm so I don't know how to calculate it, but I think I will need that information if I can get first that anthelmintic.
I need to share that I found two typeworms (I don't kow if they are complete) in one chick's poop too, one big one in thursday and a little one in friday, I'm glad I've saw them but, the proglottids keep appeared more and more.

Attachments

• chick tapeworm b.jpg
    chick tapeworm b.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 26052024_chick_poop.jpg
    26052024_chick_poop.jpg
    823.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 23052024proglottidschickpoop.jpg
    23052024proglottidschickpoop.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 23052024_poop.jpg
    23052024_poop.jpg