Wobbly chicken - more

lcountry

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 11, 2007
My little 8 week old pullet is getting worse. There is something wrong with her legs/hip area. She looks more and more like a spraddle legged chick. Her legs form an upside down "V" - splayed out way over to the sides. I had pictures of her as a youngster, and I don't see it at that time. Can spraddle legs start later?

I think it will only worsen as she ages and has increased weight on her joints.

Of course, the big question is can I help her legs or is it too late at this point? It's getting critical as the feathers are worn off of her breastbone from falling/laying down. For now, the skin is ok, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

This has been going on for a couple weeks. At first, I was worried about Mareks, but I don't see any other signs other than her legs. And, it appears to be a "mechanical" problem - not a nerve problem.

She's alert, active, and eats her fair share. In fact, she's still able to push others away from the food. But, her legs are getting worse and worse.

ANY ideas? I fear that if something isn't done, she will have to be euthanized eventually as she won't be able to stand or she gets sores on her breastbone area.

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom