Winter hardy laying ducks

Thanks, Yoretrapper. I hope I have similar luck. The more I look into the best breeds to pick, the less I know here. Sounds like Cayugas would be good, if they have them. Maybe Anconas. We'll have to see what they have in!

OK. I've been doing research on and off all day. Let me run it by you all. It sounds like Khakis, Runners and Welsh Harlequins are the best layers, and I'd love any of them, but are all too small to house with my Pekin and Crested. It sounds like Rouens are a good size and personable but are poor layers. Anconas are probably also too small. So now I'm considering the following: Buff Orpingtons, Swedish, Cayugas and Pekins. Also, what about Muscovies? Can you respond giving pointers as to laying, personality, broodiness, loudness and likelihood of doing well in the cold winter housed with 2 Pekins.

Thanks so much! Couldn't do it without your help!

If you're looking for larger ducks might also consider silver appleyards. My appleyards are considerably bigger than my cayugas (not quite twice the size) and they over winter fine together.

If they have Appleyards, I'll definitely get one. I notice the website doesn't list them so I'm thinking it'd be unlikely they'd send any to the feed store, but it'd be nice. I think there's a good chance of Buffs, Swedish amd Cayugas, though. Who knows? If I really can't find what I want, I could order instead, but it seems hard for such a small number of ducks, and I'd kind of like to get them settled before my spring break ends, too.
smile.png

I love my Appleyard. She doesn't lay as consistently but she goes broody every year. She is sitting on a nest right now that is due to hatch on Friday. The dad is a Pekin. I recommend them but they are a lot harder to find.

Back
Top Bottom