12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
6 slices bacon
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tbsp water
salt and pepper to taste
Lettuce and/or Spinach (I usually use a whole head of romain and a good handful of baby spinach leaves.)

Cut bacon into small pieces and fry until crisp.

Reserve about 2 - 3 tablespoons bacon grease and add all ingredients to the pan except the greens.

Bring to a boil and cook for about 1 - 2 minutes.

Add lettuce, remove from heat. Toss lettuce in the pan coating well the pan dressing. They will begin to wilt. Give them time to wilt down in the hot dressing.

Serve immediately.

If you like green onion you can chop one or two stalks and add them to the drippings and let them begin to wilt before adding the other ingredients.

Also if you boil some eggs those are nice sliced and served on the side.

I really like this recipe best in the summer just before lettuce starts to bolt. Something about a mix of greens and some othem going slightly bitter makes my mouth water for more. Last summer I easily made this one every day for lunch for weeks at a time.

MP, that is exactly the one! My Granma and Mother makes is once in a while with the spinach. Absolutely ove it!
droolin.gif

I LOVE Wilted Spinach Salad. I love the original dressing but one day I wanted something different and added a tablespoon of Spicy Brown mustard and stirred it up , poured it over the spinach and OH Man! It was really good.

Back
Top Bottom