Will those PVC elbow feeders work for ducks?

Beaglegal

Songster
Sep 8, 2019
Western Washington
I want to make some of those no waste chicken feeders out of garbage cans and PVC elbows to protect my feed from the deer but can the ducks eat out of them? They tend to grab a bill full of food and throw their head back and I can see the pvc elbows messing with their ability to do that.

Last edited:
You mean one of these:
full

Yes they do work for ducks! - Don't expect a "no-waste" result, at least my ducks found ways to still spill the food out, but they are using it with ease. A three port feeder feeds 24 ducks and they go through 50lbs of food per week.
Occasionally my food-addict falls asleep with her head in the feeder though, as you can see in the picture.

You mean one of these:
full

Yes they do work for ducks! - Don't expect a "no-waste" result, at least my ducks found ways to still spill the food out, but they are using it with ease. A three port feeder feeds 24 ducks and they go through 50lbs of food per week.
Occasionally my food-addict falls asleep with her head in the feeder though, as you can see in the picture.
Ha ha that’s amazing.

I don’t mind if the ducks waste some, I just need to keep the deer out. It’s ticking me off.

We tried putting chicken wire around the feeder cover but it caused chaos with ducks and an angry mama hen with chicks. Crowding and limited exits. We tried putting up 1x1s in strategically around it to block the deer out, but the deer just ripped them off.
Well, you might need something like a good sized run to keep the feed safe from deer...and other animals.

Well, you might need something like a good sized run to keep the feed safe from deer...and other animals.
Unfortunately that’s not going to be “easier” then making a feeder out of garbage cans and pvc elbows. We priced how much it would cost to deer fence our chicken pastures and it was very expensive. We are currently researching alternatives but for right now, it’s out of reach

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom