Will these webbed toes be ok?

motochick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 24, 2011
Berkeley, CA
This is my first time rasing chicks - I noticed one of my bantam cochins, now 2 days old, has some webbing between two toes, is she (I hope) going to be ok that way? They seem pretty frimly connected. How often does this happen? Will Twinkletoes be handicapped in some way?

Twinkletoes stands and walks fine...

Long term problems ahead? Who esle has seen this???
107506_chickies_043.jpg

If Twinkletoes can walk fine it should be okay. If you ever notice when it gets older you or a vet could probably cut off the webbing, but everyone likes a unique chick!

If it does cause it a problem. If you could find medicine for pain I am sure it would be an easy fix. I wouldn't consider a cull. I would probably leave it alone for now and see how it does before making the decision to separate them. How does the chick walk right now?

Twinkletoes walks just fine right now. I was reading some older posts about webbed toes, and though some do ok with just some webbing, it looks like the fully connect two toes don't do so well for balance. I've been a vet tech, so I think I'm going to do it myself while she's still young as the skin just gets tougher and bones more set as the grow.

Planned procedure:
a) gather supplies - small sissors, alcohol swabs, betadine, and styptic powder.
b) change paper towels on brooder floor
c) wash chicky feet in warm water
d) have assitant hold chick
e) swab feet and sissors with betadine, then alcohol
f) carefully cut between toes
g) use styptic powder as needed
h) keep checking for healing progress, swab with betadine as needed

Wish me and Twinkletoes luck!

I have a chick with the same webbed feet. I was thinking the same as you to cut it between day 3-5 of life as you would when docking a dogs tail or removing due claws. I would like to know how it worked for you. Was there any bleeding? Did you just cut skin and leave it flapping or make 2 cuts and remove it completely? Thank you,

Back
Top Bottom