Will peahen lay eggs if not fertile?

SunBaked

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Southwest
Hey quick question, I have a momma peahen in with a young peacock that's a little under a year old (9-10 months). She has laid 5 eggs which I put in the incubator. Would she have laid them if they weren't fertile? Most information I have found says the male can do his job by about 14 months. I have 2 peahens in another pen with no male at all and they haven't laid any eggs so I'm really hoping this means that the momma peahens eggs are fertile.

Last edited:
You may need to wait for one of the experts. But yes a peahen will lay eggs with or without a male, the will need to be at least 2 years old before the eggs will be fertile. Now if you just got her and she was with older males the eggs could be fertile.

Not very likely , like Steve post most peacocks need to be 2 yr old or their 2 nd spring. I never had a yearling be fertile.

peahens dont need a peacock around to lay.

Quote:
My uncle had one hen lay and sit on eggs when she was a yearling once, the eggs did not hatch because she was chased of the nest by a predator though. It was the weirdest thing. Post edit: Their were two mature males there she might have mated with.

Last edited:
Quote:
My uncle had one hen lay and sit on eggs when she was a yearling once, the eggs did not hatch because she was chased of the nest by a predator though. It was the weirdest thing. Post edit: Their were two mature males there she might have mated with.

yes i have yearling peahens lay, and hatch chicks if with older peacocks....post should have said never had a yearlig peacock to be fertile..

Awww, I was hoping the eggs would be fertile. Guess I'll have to wait till next year to see how some of his chicks will turn out
hmm.png
. Thank you guys.

A new 2 year old male won't have his coloring
hmm.png
he is a very odd color, kinda peachy tanish, gonna post pictures eventually to see if anyone knows what he is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom