Will cortunix eat mushroom?

Captain Quark

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I'm looking at inoculating some logs with mushrooms in my quail pen (vermicompost bedding in the garage in winter in Canada), and want to see if anyone has experienced quail eating mushrooms? My guess is they won't but the mushroom endeavor is expensive and time consuming to start so I don't want to risk losing any of the fruits of my long labour to them.

Anyone fed mushroom to the quail and found they ate it?

I'm looking at inoculating some logs with mushrooms in my quail pen (vermicompost bedding in the garage in winter in Canada), and want to see if anyone has experienced quail eating mushrooms? My guess is they won't but the mushroom endeavor is expensive and time consuming to start so I don't want to risk losing any of the fruits of my long labour to them.

I can't tell you for sure if they like mushrooms or not, but I do know birds are very curious. Even if they don't eat them they may peck and pull off pieces of the mushrooms.

I live in a moist area, my yard is backed by swampland, wild mushrooms pop up growing out of the grass in the yard and out of the bedding in the pens. Not a lot, not all the time, but occasionally. I’ve never seen them eating the mushrooms, and I haven’t seen the mushrooms damaged before I removed them. These are mushrooms you can’t eat so maybe they instinctively know not to eat them.

Did you ever try this? I have the same question.

Back
Top Bottom