Will an unfrizzled frizzle roo give a frizzle gene to his offspring?

Critter Crazed

Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
I'm so confused about this genetics stuff.. if this is a stupid question please forgive me!
hide.gif

I have a blue splash bantam cochin roo that is an unfrizzled frizzle. Meaning, he was supposed to be a frizzle but he didn't frizzle out. I think his parents were a frizzle roo and a silkie hen.

I have 5 white silkie pullets in with my blue splash bantam cochin rooster and I am going to hatch some of their eggs in the spring and I want to know if my cochin roo would be able to give a frizzle gene to his offspring? Could I end up with frizzles or sizzles? Can anyone tell me? Or maybe since he got a recessive gene (I think..) from his parents then he won't have a frizzle gene to give to his offspring?

Also is there a color chart on here? I've only seen one and I could not figure it out.
lol.png
I want to know what color chickens I could have. This is going to be such a fun experiment to see what kind of chickens I get.
big_smile.png

Thanks for your help I really appreciate it! I'm just a silly newbie, completly lost in all of this. Lol.
big_smile.png

Editted to add: I'm pretty sure my roo's dad was a frizzle.

Oh and here's a picture of my roo just in case it would help.
11541_203607036358_649366358_3219599_7923659_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, as far as my understanding goes... A "smooth frizzle" still carries the frizzle gene, and is capable of passing it along. Don't know the % though - Good Luck!

Wow thanks for the fast replies!
smile.png

Ok, I don't really want frizzles but I guess I will have some interesting looking chicks
lol.png
Some sizzles, some silkie cochins, some frizzles.
lol.png
This will be even more fun of an experiment!

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks.
tongue.png

Someone told me that as long as it has a frizzle background it will give frizzle genes.

I think my roo's father was a frizzle so does that change things?
hmm.png

It is possible that with a frizzle background you will get frizzle, but don't make any bets that you cannot afford to lose. As Nzpouter said, for a non-frizzled bird to pass on a frizzle gene it would have to also have two copies of the frizzle modifier gene; due to it's nature, it would be very hard to select for.

Ignoring fm, frizzle WILL show if present in even one copy (meaning that at least half of the offspring from a frizzle will be frizzled; 75% if both parents are frizzled). Hoping for a frizzle when none of the parents are is like hoping to win the lottery.

The frizzle gene is dominant, meaning only having 1 gene would make the bird a frizzle. If its smooth feathered it therefor does not have the gene and can't pass it along. A bird with 2 frizzle genes is a curly(the feathers are so twisted and are briddle that the bird is bald most of the year).

Sounds like your roos father was a regular frizzle(1 frizzle gene and 1 smooth gene) and not a curly(2 frizzle genes) so your roo inherited the smooth feathered gene from his father and 1 silkie feather gene from the mother(which by the way is recessive, so the bird needs 2 silkie genes to be silkied). So 0 chance of making frizzles with him unless the hen he mates with is a frizzle or curly. But if mated with a silkie there is a 50% chance you will get silkie feathered offspring.
smile.png

I have a few Frizzles, but don't breed them so take this with a grain of salt- but, what Fancyfowl said is what I have always heard. I have heard that the Frizzle gene is incompletely dominant. If a bird is smooth, even if he had a Frizzle parent, then he doesn't have the Frizzle gene. The gene would show in the birds phenotype. The heterozygous state is Frizzle. The homozygous state is curly or "Frazzle". All offspring from a "Frazzle" parent then would have at least one copy of the gene (which would show), but this would not necessarily be so if one parent was Frizzle instead of Frazzle (curly). Anyway, I don't know a lot about it since I don't breed them, but if memory serves me correctly, this is what I have always heard.

Back
Top Bottom