Will a bunny sit on my lap and stay there ?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
I telework at home and I always wanted to get a bunny and have it sit on my lap. How long would a bunny stay on my lap while I sit on a chair? Has anybody tried this before and what was the experience like?

And also is keeping a bunny in a five foot long cage okay? When I am home the bunny can sit on my lap and sometimes have play time in a playpen?

How wide is the cage? Mine were for meat and show, not pets, so I'm sure the cage would be fine anyways.

As for staying in your lap, it would probably stay in it if you were on the ground and it was a mellow rabbit, but I wouldn't risk it in a chair. We had a doe that broke her spine simply from turning too fast when she was excited one day. A fall from a chair could be disastrous

Yes and no.....Some breeds just don't like to be handled a whole lot like that. I don't currently have any buns right now as my daughter is allergic but I have had them on and off most of my life. My favorite is to sit criss-cross and they would lay in between my legs and stay there for a long time. You want to make sure they feel supported and snug. In my opinion, Lops are probably the best to cuddle with but I am partial. I did have a Californian the would cuddle too.

And also is keeping a bunny in a five foot long cage okay? When I am home the bunny can sit on my lap and sometimes have play time in a playpen?
A playpen will be a cheaper and better enclosure for the bunny. Just be sure it can't jump out.
If you bunny proof a room, you can let it free roam to get more exercise. It's probably going to enjoy exploring and running around more than being in your lap, but bunnies do like to nap during the day.

I recommend looking for a local rabbit rescue to see if you can foster one, that way you can experience what having one is like and know for sure if they're the right pet for you. Keep in mind, adopting a spayed or neutered adult is going to be much easier than buying a baby. Once they are fixed they tend to be much more relaxed and friendly.

If I get a young rabbit and that isn’t spayed or neutered yet, would the following calming supplement help the bunny until I get it neutered or spayed?

https://www.allthingsbunnies.com/Sit-Tight-for-Show-Rabbits-Cavies-p/fd144.htm

7E95A11D-AC64-4676-8DF4-7BD48F04A62C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom