When can my quail chicks move outside?

Twhi7

Songster
Feb 9, 2021
Hi everyone,

I have 4 coturnix quail chicks that are 3 weeks old as of this past weekend. They are currently in a brooder in the spare room of my house (temp in the house ranges from 65-75 degrees). They have a heat plate in which one side is fully raised up to the top and the other side is about halfway raised. Every time I check on them they are either outside of the heat plate or laying where it is raised up the highest, so I know they aren’t super dependent on the heat. Their feathers are coming in beautifully - not sure how to tell if they’re fully feathered, as this is my first time raising quail but they don’t have that porcupine look anymore like they did when their feathers were coming in.

I would REALLY like to move them outside, soonest being the end of this coming weekend (they will be 4 weeks old). Cleaning out the brooder is getting really difficult because they flap their wings and shoot up when I try to grab them and it’s really stressful for everyone 😅 I’m near Tacoma, WA - in the next week, lows at night being in the upper 40s, low 50s, and highs ranging from 58-70 degrees. I imagine it will only get warmer from here on out too.

So, I guess my question is… would it be too soon to move them outside next weekend after I build their outdoor enclosure, when they hit the 4 week mark? I could start cracking the window at night in the room they’re in right now to help them acclimate. Unfortunately it is not an option to have a heat source outside for them at the moment.

I put my quail out two weeks ago. They were feathered but 3 weeks old. I'm in 5b and their first night it went to 38 degrees. For the first four days I kept the outside hutch close enough to the house to run an extension cord for a brooder plate if they got cold. Pretty much no one used it, and in the morning half of them preferred to be outside!

As the other kind poster said, wean them off the heat.

They are so dirty! I'm planning a brooder that is easier to clean next time... I won't be able to put them out at week 3 in winter!

I'd keep a close eye on them especially since there are four. I have moved out 30 and they had a lot of other birds to snuggle with!

I put my quail out two weeks ago. They were feathered but 3 weeks old. I'm in 5b and their first night it went to 38 degrees. For the first four days I kept the outside hutch close enough to the house to run an extension cord for a brooder plate if they got cold. Pretty much no one used it, and in the morning half of them preferred to be outside!

As the other kind poster said, wean them off the heat.

They are so dirty! I'm planning a brooder that is easier to clean next time... I won't be able to put them out at week 3 in winter!

I'd keep a close eye on them especially since there are four. I have moved out 30 and they had a lot of other birds to snuggle with!
This is good to know. Thank you!

This is good to know. Thank you!
Just to let you know... these birds are wondrous to me when it comes to the cold, but they seem to really hate the heat. I have found them panting when it is as low as 85 degrees. I fight it by misting them down and providing frozen water bottles for them to lean on.

Just to let you know... these birds are wondrous to me when it comes to the cold, but they seem to really hate the heat. I have found them panting when it is as low as 85 degrees. I fight it by misting them down and providing frozen water bottles for them to lean on.
That’s also good to know - thanks for the tips! It can get pretty warm here in the summer so I’ll be sure to keep a close eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom