What's the temperature where you are???

Tuesday 15th of May 11.56a.m. Sunny and clear! It was lovely seeing the chickens having brekky in the sunshine. Light 5.5 / 11.1kph SSW, Hg 55%, 20.6C / 67.8F top of 21C / 70F. Possible late shower.

Moon is 36.3%

Bunbury residents picking up the pieces after freak tornado leaves trail of destruction​

16 hours ago​

103839390.jpg

The tornado ripped roofs off homes and scattered debris throughout the area. (ABC News: Jon Kerr)

After an anxious wait residents hit by a freak tornado in Bunbury last week have returned home to scenes of utter devastation.

The storm struck just after 4pm on Friday and tore a path of destruction through the suburbs of South Bunbury, Withers and College Grove.

More than 220 properties were damaged in total.

Nine have been ruled uninhabitable and 16 sustained severe damage.

Residents are now facing a lengthy rebuilding process.

Long-term College Grove resident Elaine Bartels was sitting in her bedroom when the tornado struck.

"The next minute I heard this bang and the whole roof just caved in," she said.

"It was all coming towards me — there was a roof, there was glass, there was timber.

"I went into the spare room thinking it was safe, but then it all came down."

After sheltering in a door frame under some asbestos bags Ms Bartels fled next door where her neighbours' roof was also being torn off by the storm.

"He just thought we were dead," she said.

Ms Bartels and her husband Doug have been staying at their daughter's house, which was not affected by the storm despite being less than a kilometre away.

"This is our family home," Ms Bartels said.

"We're waiting on our insurance company, we're trying to work out what we're doing here."

Back
Top Bottom