~What would you do???~

1mommahen

Love My Cluckin' Coop
13 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NJ
My blrw eggs that I won on eggbid came today. They were shipped last Monday (2/9).
barnie.gif

The oldest egg when shipped was 3 days old. I have since put 4 blrw eggs from buzzard chick under her on Saturday (2/14).
love.gif

Do I put these 6 eggs that came today under her or not!
idunno.gif

Thanks for all the help! BYC is the best!
wee.gif

I would not. They will be at least 3 days behind the others, and chances are momma will leave them when the others hatch. Do you have an incubator?

(Also, you may wish to let the new eggs sit out at room temp and rest until tonight before setting.)

Do you know anyone who has an incubator you could borrow...it would be a shame to waste the eggs. Too bad you don't have another broody hen huh...
sad.png

No one close has an incubator. What is the worst that could happen if I put them under her with the other eggs??

i'd put 'em under your broody and keep a fanatical watch over the eggs when it gets to be day 20-21 with the first batch. you can remove the first eggs, when they start to pip, into a homemade hatcher ( you have lots of time to rig something up and get it temperature stable ) and pray that mama will continue to set the second batch.
or.......if they hatch under mama, remove the first ones to a brooder immediately, and keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks, nheart. That's what I was thinking as long as it can't hurt the other eggs. I think I'll give it a try and get my DH to build a 'bator of sorts before hatching time. I'll keep you posted.
smile.png

Quote:
Well you could put the eggs under her and then when the ones under her hatch you could take the babies and hope that she stays sitting on the new eggs for 3 more days. So you would have to brood the first hatchlings so she wouldn't leave eggs behind in the nest.

I am no expert at all but it is just an idea.

You could mark them and put them under her for now. Then either try to get an incubator, or hope another hen goes broody to move them to. I had a hen once leave the nest with 3 eggs that had only 3 days to go. I put them in a cage with a heat lamp and all 3 hatched. If you give them to the broody now, you have some time to come up with another plan......
smile.png

Where do you have your hen setting? What kind of set up etc.?
I would set them and as the other good peeps said be prepared.

Back
Top Bottom