What side do you candle?? Pointy or rounded?

Floppy Pheasant

Songster
Jul 29, 2017
I've read on the internet.....lol...no candling til day seven,only candle pointy end..if I only candle pointy end,I cannot view air sac development...candling round end,I may dislodge embryo from yolk sac.... I have to mark viable embryos,air sac development, quitters,non fertiles....I can't see all of this if I only candle from the pointy end.
I only candle days 7,10,14 and 17.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Also,no eggs should be candled or handled after setting in incubator for 7 days, as the embryo is extremely fragile and could die from any movement..

I'll try to find it....I was interested in candling ,as I'm fairly new at it and randomly came across a few blogs that were adamant about candling from fat end of egg.

I only candle on day 18, just before I remove them from the turner. It's super fast and easy that way, and they don't get jostled. I turn the room light off and barely touch the light to the top of the eggs, you can fly right through a whole turner full just plucking duds and leaving full eggs in. I usually have a carton and a bowl to the side, anything absolutely clear/bloodringed goes into the bowl, anything questionable goes into the carton, and then I candle the pointy end of those to confirm no chick.

Of course, I also sanitize my eggs before I set them and I don't set anything filthy, so I have no concern of anything exploding mid-hatch.

Mosey2003,I had an egg explode in my bator on day 12 last year (I didn't candle at all) the smell was...really bad...I only had three hatch out of 15 after the "eggsplosion ".
I decided to candle after that..I read an article that candling at 7 days,10 days,14 and 18 are okay.
I incubate my own Pheasant eggs but my chicken eggs..I buy online,
I have 7 Brahma's hatching next week...so far,so good! Lol

Back
Top Bottom