What price should you sell grown laying hens for

Well, my husband and I bought Swedish Flower hens in the spring of 2016 was a breed I thought would be fun to have, and I was right, great chickens and beautiful to watch them feather out. I never thought there would be much profit in having chickens, or really, any animal because of their up keep. These SFH are rare and you can sell them for higher prices, and they are pretty good layers. I've been totally entertained by them, beautiful and constantly flowering. We now have 39 and my husband built their pens and bought their food, which winds up being considerable amount of money. Now my husband is in a panic about all the cost of the whole thing. I wasn't surprised about the expense, I've got to enjoy them while my husband has handled the expense and labor. Now we have to find homes for the beautiful young roosters we have, which has been stress for me. Shipping these birds is not for the faint hearted even giving these expensive chickens away is more than most people want to spend to ship, an't cheap. Anyway, I don't think there is much or any money to be made here with these birds, getting the good fresh eggs is about the extent of it. I say just enjoy your birds.
Is this a question about how to get rid of your roosters or is this just a statement for this thread? If it's a question then I would recommend creating a thread since this thread is quite old. :)

I am sorry about the confusing reply, and after reading it I realized how confusing it was, but I guess that I was mostly venting, and in a way wondered if you can really expect to charge for a young rooster, even if it is rare.

I am sorry about the confusing reply, and after reading it I realized how confusing it was, but I guess that I was mostly venting, and in a way wondered if you can really expect to charge for a young rooster, even if it is rare.
It is rare but my neighbours accidentally got a HORRIBLE rooster and with some snuggles and TLC he is now the sweetest boy. Now he has a son and his son is quite mean too so I'm trying and it seems to be working. :) Remember to not only be nice to the rooster but to his hens too.

I know this is an old thread but wanted to point out something.

When people calculate what "Equipment" costs, you don't just divide that by how many birds you have at the moment. There is Length of use in equipment and it is part of your Business. We ARE talking about a business if you want to add in equipment costs. Other wise it is a HOBBY and this is moot.
Think of it as a New Roof on your house.... you can't write off that full amount on your Taxes it is prorated through out many years.

Let's take that $2000 Simple coop that was hand built. It SHOULD have held a lot more then 10 birds at a time ! Shoot for $2000 of hand building I could make a good size Barn and let's say 75 birds (more and bigger if I can get free/cheap on CL). Last 25 years.
2000 Divided by 25 years is 6.67 a MONTH, so divide that by 75 birds is only 9 CENTS per bird, per month, $1.08 per year.

You need to do this with ALL of the equipment, waterer, feeders etc.
AND with the Birds, if you buy chicks, raise your own.

You CAN charge what you want. If people buy it then great, if not you lower your amount. Demand does make the price, to a point

Also remember that some people get upset because they feel their "Wares" are worth a fortune. I know people that make Soap and sell each bar for $8, then bitch because no one will pay that. Sorry, it just isn't worth that amount, sell it for $4 and they will sell.

I sell my Organically RAISED eggs for $4 a dozen here, have one guy in town that I drop them off to him when I have extra. He also has chickens but they are not laying much if at all. I get money to buy my Organic feed, he gets Eggs that are Local and raised the way he wants. Win for me and my extra eggs.
I am NOT a business, I don't figure out what I NEED to sell for. WHEN I am able to have a farm I will build a barn for the 'Business" and then figure it from there.

IF there is NO MARKET for Organically Raised eggs or Starter hens I will lose out, IF there is a Market for Organically Raised eggs then I will make out.

Ok off my Rock, MY ROCK. You don't have to agree but if you really have a Business that is ON THE BOOKS this is how it is done.

I sell mine for $10 because thats all I can get for them
idunno.gif
. They are well worth at least $30, if you factor in feed, labor, and chick cost. It depends on your market, really. The short answer is it depends how much you can sell them for. Always sell them for as much as possible. Unless you are charging $50-$75 you are not charging too much. Be fair to yourself as well as the buyer.
We're you located at

Back
Top Bottom