What is the best peafowl breed for free ranging in central texas? And what incubator to use for thier eggs?

Pullarius93

Chirping
Apr 28, 2023
I was thinking of buying some shipped eggs because I've heard peafowls are territorial and will try to get back to their original territory and not do well if bought as adults for free ranging.

I live on a family farm but I only own a half acre connected to the farm but I don't think the family will mind the pastures being free ranged on but I will ask. We currently don't have as many cows as we used to.

I don't know much about peafowl but I would suggest a nurture right 360 incubator. Make sure you get the right size egg turner they are sold separately. You can get them on amazon. In total that will probably cost 200 dollars for just the incubator and egg turner. I also recommend not just letting them free range and not caring for them. If you just let them go they will die within a week. Make sure you have an enclosure for them at night that has food and water. As far as the species that is all up to you.

I don't know much about peafowl but I would suggest a nurture right 360 incubator. Make sure you get the right size egg turner they are sold separately. You can get them on amazon. In total that will probably cost 200 dollars for just the incubator and egg turner. I also recommend not just letting them free range and not caring for them. If you just let them go they will die within a week. Make sure you have an enclosure for them at night that has food and water. As far as the species that is all up to you.
I was planning on cooping them up at night like chickens but I guess that's not a good idea?

Oh ok cool thanks 😊 I've always wanted peafowls but never had my own place to.
Peafowl are such beautiful birds. I thought about getting some a while ago but where I live the predators would be attracted to their shiny characteristic and put my other birds in more danger. (I live in a predator infested area) keep me updated on your peafowl journey!

Before you do anything and I mean anything, go to the 'Stickies' index at the top of the peafowl page and start reading all of the threads on care and feeding, housing, medicating, etc. Buying eggs is not the best way for a novice to start out, peas are very hard to hatch. It is best if you buy yearlings and contain them for a couple of months before attempting to let them out. When you do only let one out at a time and always feed in the run. Build your run first and allow 150 sq ft per bird minimum.

Before you do anything and I mean anything, go to the 'Stickies' index at the top of the peafowl page and start reading all of the threads on care and feeding, housing, medicating, etc. Buying eggs is not the best way for a novice to start out, peas are very hard to hatch. It is best if you buy yearlings and contain them for a couple of months before attempting to let them out. When you do only let one out at a time and always feed in the run. Build your run first and allow 150 sq ft per bird minimum.
Thanks 😊 I'll read the stickies first.

Back
Top Bottom