This is picture our local feed store had of a Sapphire Gem. We bought 10 chicks. 9 are dark, 1 is light colored. Feed store the lighter colored one should be male.

Attachments

• Sapphire Gem 1.png
    Sapphire Gem 1.png
    325 KB · Views: 437
This is picture our local feed store had of a Sapphire Gem. We bought 10 chicks. 9 are dark, 1 is light colored. Feed store the lighter colored one should be male.
Someone earlier in the thread provided evidence that the males have a single barring gene just like a black sexlink does. So, I'd look for a spot on the head to indicate male.

Most feed stores order sexlink pullets, not straight run, and (in general) blue chicks range from pastel to almost black with no sexlinking of the shade of blue.

Someone earlier in the thread provided evidence that the males have a single barring gene just like a black sexlink does. So, I'd look for a spot on the head to indicate male.
Where was this, reading through this thread i see no evidence of anything. I messaged Hoover's hatchery and they had no idea either.

Where was this, reading through this thread i see no evidence of anything. I messaged Hoover's hatchery and they had no idea either.
Moonshiner shared the info and pic on pg. 2. The pic is grainy but I found the same one on another supplier's site and it was slightly more clear there. The cock definitely has barring.

I've been thinking about getting a few of these as well, but Hoover website says they are good for hot climates... And I live in the far north. I've never had any sex links, any thoughts on these birds doing well in a northern climate?

How light? As in lighter grey or yellow/white? I ordered 10 females from TSC. 2 extras were thrown in. 2 are really dark, 8 are a variation of medium dark, and 2 are a lighter grey with less dark on the head. All have varying degrees of light markings or some degree of banding/spotting near the eyes. Any thoughts whether or not they slipped 2 roos in the bunch?

Attachments

• 27973269_10214981943239311_7264907361365989367_n.jpg
    27973269_10214981943239311_7264907361365989367_n.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 442
Alright my chicken peeps, hubby and I went to Rural King today mostly because I just wanted to. Anyway, they have baby chicks out year round now, and I can’t resist. Had to look. So they had a bin of “sapphire gem” and they are blue. We have looked and looked online and can’t find anything. What the heck is a sapphire gem chicken? Or do we just have some random blue chickens?
Alright my chicken peeps, hubby and I went to Rural King today mostly because I just wanted to. Anyway, they have baby chicks out year round now, and I can’t resist. Had to look. So they had a bin of “sapphire gem” and they are blue. We have looked and looked online and can’t find anything. What the heck is a sapphire gem chicken? Or do we just have some random blue chickens?
I also went to Rural King today and came home with 6 of these little feathered babies. Cant really find out a lot about them. So it will just be a waiting game to see what they turn out. As long as they are healthy doesn't really matter to me.

Mine are being delivered today! Can't wait :)

This brand new sex-link chicken will amaze you with it's blue and lavender colored plumage. This Czech breed is an excellent egg layer and great forager. It does well in hot climates and is a breed very close to the Old Andalusians. This bird is a specialty hybrid that was created by a breeder in the Czech Republic. Approx. 290 Large Eggs/Year | Egg Color: Brown | Mature Wt: Male 5 lbs. Female 4 lbs.
Sapphire Gem.jpg

Back
Top Bottom