What does this weird coturnix noise mean?

Boppo

Crossing the Road
Feb 13, 2022
Eastern Massachusetts
Today, one of my quail began making a little noise like a quiet teakettle. She (I think it was one of the hens, but I have trouble sometimes telling which one is making a noise unless it's a male crowing) She seemed settled and untroubled, but I am not a quail psychologist. Anybody heard this noise? It's quite different from the little chirps that sound a bit like crickets or tiny frogs.

I would assume she is either scared or broody. I have button quail though so I dont know much about what sounds Coturnix make.

Today, one of my quail began making a little noise like a quiet teakettle. She (I think it was one of the hens, but I have trouble sometimes telling which one is making a noise unless it's a male crowing) She seemed settled and untroubled, but I am not a quail psychologist. Anybody heard this noise? It's quite different from the little chirps that sound a bit like crickets or tiny frogs.
I'm not sure. I don't think I've heard an egg song yet. Soon though!
On the other hand, I can confirm that at least one of my young roos makes a loud purring sound just like a cat purring (when not crowing). It's definitely a sound of calm and contentment, or I'm just associating with happy cats. It's not quiet like those faint chirps of satisfaction you hear from quail after they enjoy a good meal.

Yes, it IS like a purring sort of noise when they are happy and content. What a charming description!

Thank you, as always, Nabiki and Sean! I am thrilled and pleased to have discovered the quail egg song. They are such quiet birds compared to my chickens that it never occurred to me! This lady is in with a male, so it makes sense, and she HAD just laid.

Is it like a low woot woot woot noise? My boy Max (button) makes tht noise when he come for snuggles, I've always thought of it as a happy contented sound xx

20230122_221257.jpg

Back
Top Bottom