What does it mean exactly when a rooster flaps his wings at you?

LikeTurkeys

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Southern California
Hey all!
I like trying to understand my roosters behavior as much as possible, so I have a question... What exactly does it mean when he flaps his wings at me? Usually he'll be standing about 10 or 15 feet away (not in my space or anything), and then he'll flap his wings and go about his business. Is this a sign of aggression or respect? I always thought it mean 'hey, we're cool' but I'm not sure.

Also, he's great, but last week or so, for no reason at all he attacked my little sister. Ran after her and pecked in the back of the leg. She was just running by, though now she won't be in the yard while he's out alone. Is this reason to get rid of him? He has shown no other signs of aggression, to her or otherwise. He only has 3 hens, but some young 'uns are growing up right now so that'll change soon.

I think that behavior is just their egos/showing off. Everyone is different, but I personally wouldn't tolerate any aggression in my flock.
Yeah, I know. It was just this one time though and I don't want to go through the hassle of raising up another good rooster, considering that this one is okay normally.
Lol. My wife's older white silkie roo "tillman" constantly flaps his wings. for him it seems to be just showing off. Have you sat inside where he cant see you and he still does it?
Yeah, he does it outside too.
It is definitely communication! A casual wing flapping while turned to the side means I defer to you! A lower chicken will flap wings when a higher-up passes by. This is not the same as when a rooster challenges you staring at you and flapping wings with a loud popping sound.
He doesn't stare at me, and it's not a loud popping sound per se, usually he just does it as he's walking by.
It is a visual and auditory advertisement of signaler. Intensity of display correlated with rank / vigor of displayer.
So, the more he does it the better he feels about himself? (sorry for applying human emotions)

I like trying to understand my roosters behavior as much as possible, so I have a question... What exactly does it mean when he flaps his wings at me? Usually he'll be standing about 10 or 15 feet away (not in my space or anything), and then he'll flap his wings and go about his business. Is this a sign of aggression or respect? I always thought it mean 'hey, we're cool' but I'm not sure.
Likely neither.

Also, he's great, but last week or so, for no reason at all he attacked my little sister. Ran after her and pecked in the back of the leg. She was just running by, though now she won't be in the yard while he's out alone. Is this reason to get rid of him?
Might depend on how old your little sister is, but I would not tolerate it.
Each human in contact with cock/erels needs to be able to monitor and understand their own behaviors as well as that of the birds.

My hens do the same thing, but not as much. I think they're acknowledging my dominance, because I've seen submissive roosters do the same to the dominant rooster when they feel threatened by his approach. At other times I think they're just waving to me.

Likely neither.

Might depend on how old your little sister is, but I would not tolerate it.
Each human in contact with cock/erels needs to be able to monitor and understand their own behaviors as well as that of the birds.
Little sister is 8 years old and not small for her age. Normally she is very confident around the chickens and doesn't do things that would set them off (I've tried to tell her about keeping them out of her space etc. as much as possible) it was just this one time when she was running past (yeah, I know little kids running can set them off, it was an accident). In fact, she didn't even know that he was chasing her until she felt him peck the back of her leg. There was no warning.

I am seriously considering slaughtering him, because I know the dangers of keeping an aggressive rooster around children. The bite wasn't deep, but it did draw some blood. I just don't know if this is enough to warrant the hassle considering that he's been good with everything else, even to her. I'm trying to follow this articles advice: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/a-viewpoint-on-managing-roosters.74690/, which I've been following since he was a little chick.
My hens do the same thing, but not as much. I think they're acknowledging my dominance, because I've seen submissive roosters do the same to the dominant rooster when they feel threatened by his approach. At other times I think they're just waving to me.
Yes, I've noticed that the hens do the same, just not quite so often. Sometimes they don't even lift their wings fully, just a little bit; then put them down.

Back
Top Bottom