What did you do with your flock today?

Yes, this is her first brood, and she's doing a great job. She launches herself at any hen that gets close. LC ("Little Chick") sometimes cries when she loses track of Momma Martha, but Martha goes back to where LC can see her and clucks until LC runs over. She's almost tender with her.
View attachment 3807100

Samuel attacked the chicks today. He was removed, permanently. The coop is quieter.
They're beautiful babies! Is Samuel your only rooster?

Nevermind...I just read he was! Are you going to keep him, just separated or re-home him?

Last edited:
Last winter I partially closed off some of the vent area on the chicken coop to somewhat block the icy north wind. I repositioned the exterior plywood wall sections this morning so that the coop has full ventilation.

I also removed a section of OSB that covered the hardware cloth at the back corner of the secure run. There's plenty of airflow now in both the coop and run.
Reminds me I really need to remove my winter wind blocks too!

I don't know what it is about the stuff but chickens just love it! Weirdos...

I try to buy stuff without Styrofoam packaging but sometimes it's unavoidable. What I don't use for pot drainage or insulation, I turn to glue. It's strong stuff!
Glue! Tell me how please....I love the idea!

I finally hung a bag of 99+% elemental sulfur across the entrance/exit between the coop and the day run. Every time they pass through, they bump the bag and a tiny bit of sulfur powder dusts their back.

Sulfur is supposed to be great for preventing and controlling mites and lice on chickens. Now the chickens take care of pest control all by themselves.

I used a piece of floating row and some double sided tape to make the bag, stapled it across the doorway, then dumped in some powdered sulfur. It should work. When I bump my hand against it a bit of the sulfur comes out.

I've read that just a little bit of the sulfur is all it takes.

IMG_3865.JPG IMG_3869.JPG IMG_3870.JPG

I finally hung a bag of 99+% elemental sulfur across the entrance/exit between the coop and the day run. Every time they pass through, they bump the bag and a tiny bit of sulfur powder dusts their back.

Sulfur is supposed to be great for preventing and controlling mites and lice on chickens. Now the chickens take care of pest control all by themselves.

I used a piece of floating row and some double sided tape to make the bag, stapled it across the doorway, then dumped in some powdered sulfur. It should work. When I bump my hand against it a bit of the sulfur comes out.

I've read that just a little bit of the sulfur is all it takes.

View attachment 3807695View attachment 3807696View attachment 3807697
Reminds me of how they dust cows. Nice work!

Back
Top Bottom