What did you do with your flock today?

We lost one of our leghorns day before yesterday. Haven't had them before this batch so I don't know their life span, and can't imagine why she died so young. She is just over 3 years old. So sad about that. 😥 We do not do necropsies here, although we would if we lost more than one bird at a time. So, it's a mystery. 😥

The leghorns are my most reliable layers, but no matter, I'd keep them if they weren't. I have 3 Australorps who are just over 7 years old right now. I think I still get an occasional egg out of one of them, but don't know for sure. I just know I get the occasional torpedo egg and that's what they used to lay. I suppose any of the girls could lay an egg like that occasionally. They are still beauties. :love

We lost one of our leghorns day before yesterday. Haven't had them before this batch so I don't know their life span, and can't imagine why she died so young. She is just over 3 years old. So sad about that. 😥 We do not do necropsies here, although we would if we lost more than one bird at a time. So, it's a mystery. 😥

The leghorns are my most reliable layers, but no matter, I'd keep them if they weren't. I have 3 Australorps who are just over 7 years old right now. I think I still get an occasional egg out of one of them, but don't know for sure. I just know I get the occasional torpedo egg and that's what they used to lay. I suppose any of the girls could lay an egg like that occasionally. They are still beauties. :love
Sorry you lost her! I haven't kept leghorns in years but they're wonderful birds.

Is got a little buddy. Meet Subaru lol (super roo) lol 🤣

Attachments

• PXL_20240408_180550589.jpg
    PXL_20240408_180550589.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 3
:( Sorry for your loss.

We gave our big long legged boy a taste of raisin bread for the first time tonight. It was a small taste and he got upset that he only got a tiny bit while ma held on to the rest of the slice. He had just eaten a whole slice of whole wheat for a bedtime snack. He still eats a lot of starter/grower during the day from feeders that are placed around his free ranging areas along with a small handful of scratch. I think within about 2 months he will be 12 months old but far from grown still. His spurs are still just nubs.

I'm sorry. It's hard to lose them at any age.

Back
Top Bottom