What did you do with your flock today?

One other little thing I got to watch up close to this week. My little pet game pullet was being feather danced by her chosen beau the other evening just before roost time. She is tiny but she squared up against him with hackle feathers in the raised fighting mode and put him down with a few pecks faster than he could think about what was happening. I sure need to plan on getting a video of this as it has happened at least twice now. My wife saw it happen first.

One other little thing I got to watch up close to this week. My little pet game pullet was being feather danced by her chosen beau the other evening just before roost time. She is tiny but she squared up against him with hackle feathers in the raised fighting mode and put him down with a few pecks faster than he could think about what was happening. I sure need to plan on getting a video of this as it has happened at least twice now. My wife saw it happen first.
I love when the ladies are like, “take that fancy dance somewhere else, I have a headache” 🤪😆

Spent a little time with some of the older babies. It’s a bit like a Tractor Supply in my living room right now and I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the babies 😆 But I plan to sell at least 60-70% of them so I’m trying to remain calm 😆 I got a picture while I was sitting with them…they’re just so cute 😍 I love how this cuckoo boy just stepped right up and took the lead. 🥰 I feel like he’s saying “Did you bring the treats? No pets or love from anyone without the treats” 😆

IMG_9529.jpeg

Oh my gosh @Shetland lover I am so sorry, she is a huge loss. Penelope's one terrific and very beautiful gal. We know she did her best in your expert care. :hugs 💕 I'm glad you had many wonderful adventures together. Take care friend
Oh noooo this is very sad news, I’m so sorry @Shetland lover 😢😢 I had a really good ugly cry on Friday over all the losses I’ve had lately and it helped a bit…but those special ones leave a hole and it hurts 🥺 She was so beautiful and so very well loved!! She couldn’t have been a luckier chicken! Sending you hugs friend…the grief is just all the love with nowhere to go ❤️❤️
Thank you so much, ladies. I will miss her so much. She was special from the day she hatched - she had to be to hold her own against Mr. Personality, Ferdy. For the longest time I suspected she could be a little roo, especially when she started crowing at 10 wks, sounding exactly like her big brother! She also went from being a highly aggressive little madam to my sweet baby who followed me all over, getting into as much mischief as she possibly could and screaming like a banshee if she was thwarted in any way. Penelope loved getting scritches under her beak, between her wattles, and used to ask for them by jumping on me and extending her neck whilst looking me straight in the eye. If I was slow on the uptake, she'd give me a sharp peck, preferably on my face!
My biggest regret is that she wasn't allowed to be a mom. She was an almost unbreakable broody and when Stan was a chick, she'd kidnap him. If he strayed too far from Pru, she would plonk herself down over him and be the picture of innocence while Pru frantically ran around looking for him.
I did have a plan for her as we daren't hatch any more chicks in case we end up with another boy. When she was fully well, went broody and the weather was warmer, my plan was to get a sex-linked day-old and do the old bait and switch. May not of worked, of course, but I hope she knows that was the plan.

Thank you so much, ladies. I will miss her so much. She was special from the day she hatched - she had to be to hold her own against Mr. Personality, Ferdy. For the longest time I suspected she could be a little roo, especially when she started crowing at 10 wks, sounding exactly like her big brother! She also went from being a highly aggressive little madam to my sweet baby who followed me all over, getting into as much mischief as she possibly could and screaming like a banshee if she was thwarted in any way. Penelope loved getting scritches under her beak, between her wattles, and used to ask for them by jumping on me and extending her neck whilst looking me straight in the eye. If I was slow on the uptake, she'd give me a sharp peck, preferably on my face!
My biggest regret is that she wasn't allowed to be a mom. She was an almost unbreakable broody and when Stan was a chick, she'd kidnap him. If he strayed too far from Pru, she would plonk herself down over him and be the picture of innocence while Pru frantically ran around looking for him.
I did have a plan for her as we daren't hatch any more chicks in case we end up with another boy. When she was fully well, went broody and the weather was warmer, my plan was to get a sex-linked day-old and do the old bait and switch. May not of worked, of course, but I hope she knows that was the plan.
:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit:hit💔💔💔

This is as close as I have ever been to having all my ducks in a row.

View attachment 3769719

Turns out I'm not immune to chick days. Went to tsc for dog food. Got dog food and ducklings. (They happened to have Cayuga ducks, which I have wanted for a while).

...and while he's not part of the flock, my cat turned 13 today, so he got extra cuddles. View attachment 3769720
The ducks are so cute circling the water! 😂

I love giving chicks the ability to self regulate. Works wonderfully. I have had my day old ontop of their heating pad panting on an 85° day. As long as they have a place to warm, and it is warm enough.
You guys are making me miss raising chicks. Guess you should post photos for your chicken pals who are able to resist the urge of getting burried in chicken multiplication 😄💕.

Bravo @kurby22 ! It's a one step, one day at a time thing 😂🐥🐤🐣🐣🐣🐤🐣🐤🐥🐥🐥🐥🐣🐤🐤🐣🐥🐥🐥
As far as being quiet, I'm the same. I don't like to share my problems, just my way out of - or the solutions and results. I'm also in the process of regrouping.

My flock is to big and I have not thinned anymore after my many losses a few long months ago. Shoot, I lost 7 big girls and rehomed a boy. My remaining light Brahmas have been trouble makers and taken away some of the joy of chicken keeping for me. And Mazzie is as old as dirt and has slowed quite a bit. I am seriously thinking that rehoming the lights is the way to go, but then, that means Spider too and I don't think I can. Beetle is a pushover but all is calm with him.

Just my own little chicken soap opera around here 😂 ⏳️ As the Poop Collects
That would make such a wonderful YouTube series 🤣🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom