What did you do with your flock today?

Got bit by our gander today 🤷‍♀️. I was trying to get them out of the coop to eat dinner since it seemed like they didn't eat much for this morning. He didn't like me trying to boss him around. It was hard but not hard enough to break skin. But definitely his way of saying no. To bad I don't take no for an answer. I got the chickens out as well but as soon as I turned my back half of them were already coming back in lol.

Bianca, my chronically ill hen, has an appointment with the vet next Tuesday. Nothing is particularly wrong with her, it's just time for her checkup.

However, I've spent some time with the flock today and I realized that Callia is having trouble pooping. It takes her a lot to expel the dropping and then the dropping consists of two separate pieces of poop.

The poop is not hard but it is drier than it should, IMO.

I think I'm gonna have to take Callia to the vet instead of Bianca. But it isn't going to be easy if that's the case. She is a rescued hen who is super traumatized and SCREAMS when someone grabs her.

I'm going to put her in a dark box so that the vet visit is not that stressful for her 😞

Have to share this hilarious and super cute photo... Mama is the buff Orpington across from them lol who has been weaning the 6 week olds lol so auntie took over nightly cuddles lol thankfully bc it's 11F/ feels like -6

Attachments

• PXL_20240114_032622122.jpg
    PXL_20240114_032622122.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 15
Apparently the ducks were not amused by my lack of icebreaking this morning...
IMG_20240112_102458.jpg

Otoh, I spent a lot of today making sure that my birds would be ok tonight, as we once again dropped 20⁰ in a day... It's 5⁰ outside right now, and my coop is about 27⁰.

I also have about 10 birds in my garage, enjoying the high life of 40⁰, as their coop isn't as awesome as the main flock.

.... When people tell me Texas is too hot, I laugh... 🤣

DH said he'd check the eggs, too cold for me to be out there. Made the outside gang some oatmeal, which they loved. Nice warm treat after a 15 degree night. It'll be good to be back to warmer temps by Wednesday, when the rain returns.
Olena is making smaller poops more often than big ones 2x day. Is that a good sign? @Shetland lover @ChicksnMore @TropicalBabies

Well it's -5F (feels like -25F) here in central Indiana. Second time giving water. No biggie, at least it's a bit warmer in their coop/pen. Today is supposed to be the coldest in our artic blast whatever but single digits all week. Everyone is moving even if a bit slower lol (me included lol)

Attachments

• PXL_20240114_131525900.jpg
    PXL_20240114_131525900.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240114_131237505.jpg
    PXL_20240114_131237505.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240114_131233778.jpg
    PXL_20240114_131233778.jpg
    691.2 KB · Views: 10
DH said he'd check the eggs, too cold for me to be out there. Made the outside gang some oatmeal, which they loved. Nice warm treat after a 15 degree night. It'll be good to be back to warmer temps by Wednesday, when the rain returns.
Olena is making smaller poops more often than big ones 2x day. Is that a good sign? @Shetland lover @ChicksnMore @TropicalBabies
I believe it is. ❤️

Yes!! I love them! 😍.

You know what else never gets old? A new chicken laying an egg! Dora laid the cutest little pullet egg today! 😍😍 She’s just barely 5 months old, this is young for a d’Anver to lay in my experience 😳 Dora is just the cutest 😍
With a name like Dora (the explorer) she has to be precocious right? 😄

Back
Top Bottom