What did you do with your flock today?

Just popping in to say Happy Monday and share my current view with you all! 😍

View attachment 3697894

The CCFF Show in Paso Robles went really well! We brought 18 birds and are bringing home 15 first place and 3 second place ribbons! 😍 My most exciting win was Reserve of Breed in the d’Anvers! My first goal last year was to show a NON-quail variety and place higher than the quail or blue quail—and we did it! 🎉 Granted 7 of them were mine hehe, and the Best of Breed was a gorgeous quail hen but there were at least 12 quail and blue quail and he got 2nd best 😍😍 I also brought 6 Ameraucana bantams and my self blue pullet took Best of Breed and my Wheaten pullet was Reserve of Breed, and Alfredo won Best Variety in the black Watermaal group of 1 😆 I also am bringing home a Blue Quail rooster to put with my new Watermaal hens that I’m very excited about because he won Reserve of Breed at the show. Plus he’s just the most relaxed and gentle boy! ❤️

We drove down to Morro Bay yesterday and spent the afternoon and morning today here and now we are heading back to ugly Sacramento 😆 😫 But I miss my bed and my other chickens and my car smells like a chicken coop, so it’s time! 🤪
Wow!!! :woot Great wins!!! Congratulations!!! Worth all the hard work you put into it. Beautiful birds and gorgeous view!

As I was going out tonight to close up the coops one of my Sons of Buster young but crowing cockerels gave me a little trash talk as I was passing by were he was preparing to roost and it was not where I've been moving him from every night. I stopped and went through the usual routine of moving him down the line closer to Buster. I stopped to check on the pets in the coup and when I looked back here comes Phil Silvers marching down from where I had move him to and was talking trash at me again. I picked right back up and set him right back down next to his pop and shook my finger at him and told him a few things that might happen to him if he kept the trash talking up and didn't remain in the spot where I told him to roost. When we came back from making the rounds he was up tightly against his daddy who is king of the coops.

View attachment 3697894

The CCFF Show in Paso Robles went really well! We brought 18 birds and are bringing home 15 first place and 3 second place ribbons! 😍 My most exciting win was Reserve of Breed in the d’Anvers! My first goal last year was to show a NON-quail variety and place higher than the quail or blue quail—and we did it! 🎉 Granted 7 of them were mine hehe, and the Best of Breed was a gorgeous quail hen but there were at least 12 quail and blue quail and he got 2nd best 😍😍 I also brought 6 Ameraucana bantams and my self blue pullet took Best of Breed and my Wheaten pullet was Reserve of Breed, and Alfredo won Best Variety in the black Watermaal group of 1 😆 I also am bringing home a Blue Quail rooster to put with my new Watermaal hens that I’m very excited about because he won Reserve of Breed at the show. Plus he’s just the most relaxed and gentle boy! ❤️

We drove down to Morro Bay yesterday and spent the afternoon and morning today here and now we are heading back to ugly Sacramento 😆 😫 But I miss my bed and my other chickens and my car smells like a chicken coop, so it’s time! 🤪
Many many hearty congratulations! 🏆🥇:yesss:Hoping for more beebies from the blue quail gentleman. Looks like you had a fun and relaxing after show.

As I was going out tonight to close up the coops one of my Sons of Buster young but crowing cockerels gave me a little trash talk as I was passing by were he was preparing to roost and it was not where I've been moving him from every night. I stopped and went through the usual routine of moving him down the line closer to Buster. I stopped to check on the pets in the coup and when I looked back here comes Phil Silvers marching down from where I had move him to and was talking trash at me again. I picked right back up and set him right back down next to his pop and shook my finger at him and told him a few things that might happen to him if he kept the trash talking up and didn't remain in the spot where I told him to roost. When we came back from making the rounds he was up tightly against his daddy who is king of the coops.
Please record some of that trash talk and share. I'd like to hear what that sounds like.

Hmmm....It's not normally my job to close the coop, but tonight I did it. As I always used to do, I counted chickens to make sure they were all in. I have 17 chickens and could only come up with 16. So I checked the other little coops to see if anyone was hiding there. Checked hiding places in the orchard and no chicken. I came back to my list and realized it was Queen Bee, my last RIR, that was missing. I have no idea. DH doesn't count them so I don't even know when she disappeared. I know I counted noses a couple weeks ago and had 17. Whatever could have happened? :idunno DH went out after me and counted. Only 16. I don't even know how to grieve her...is she dead?...is she hiding?... I will go out tomorrow and count noses again, and look for a little red hen.

Hmmm....It's not normally my job to close the coop, but tonight I did it. As I always used to do, I counted chickens to make sure they were all in. I have 17 chickens and could only come up with 16. So I checked the other little coops to see if anyone was hiding there. Checked hiding places in the orchard and no chicken. I came back to my list and realized it was Queen Bee, my last RIR, that was missing. I have no idea. DH doesn't count them so I don't even know when she disappeared. I know I counted noses a couple weeks ago and had 17. Whatever could have happened? :idunno DH went out after me and counted. Only 16. I don't even know how to grieve her...is she dead?...is she hiding?... I will go out tomorrow and count noses again, and look for a little red hen.
Maybe she has a hidden nest, sitting on eggs somewhere.

I just disturbed my chickens on their roost and dusted them with elemental sulfur powder. It's supposed to work really well in controlling lice and mites.

I think mine might have a problem with ear mites because lately I've noticed a few of them giving their heads a quick shake every once in a while, like something's irritating them.

There are a couple threads here about using sulfur...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sulfur-powder-against-lice-mites.613628/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-question-about-sulfur.1253989/

View attachment 3697894

Just wow! Congratulations! You all did so well. 18 birds and 18 winners! Can't wait to see what your new boy creates with your Watermaal girls....

View attachment 3697894

And what a beautiful place!

Back
Top Bottom