What did you do with your flock today?

Spent some time with my teen agers trying to definitively call these pullets or cockerels, but I just still can’t tell for sure (they are about 14 weeks old). It’s so fun to just watch them chicken. I have a broody with 12 who is due tomorrow. Fingers crossed - I have not bothered her or the eggs once. I hope they all make it, or atleast two 😧😂
The agonies of waiting on eggs and trying to determine gender when they've arrived!
It's funny, isn't it, how sometimes you can tell from a young age if you have a pullet or cockerel? And often, not! I knew within 3 days of him hatching that Ferdy was a boy but even at 10 weeks I was still guessing with Stan. I was undecided with Penelope, too. But she did keep confusing me with her behaviour, the little so-and-so! She also had pointy hackles until her first moult.

Last edited:
It rained ALL DAY yesterday. Pretty hard and consistent. Our rain gauge was overflowing when I checked it in the evening so over 6inches in a very short period of time. It seemed like it finally stopped but restarted again early this morning. So I didn’t do much with my flock other than egg collecting and a quick coop cleanup. They seemed to be happy drinking the massive puddles that accumulated in the run. I felt so bad for them (even though the run is covered with a tarp) so I brought them some leftovers from breakfast.

Good Morning and Happy Sunday.
Yesterday started off with me letting the babies out only to find that one of my Japanese Bantams didn't wake up. His brother was beside himself. They were the only two in that pen as I rescued them after having my other bantam flocks established with their roos. I didn't want to throw 2 more in with any of them for the safety of the girls. I moved him into the Cochin/Brahma pen ( their pen was on the other side of the fence) sectioned off to see how that flock was and if any hen seemed more interested or nicer than the others.. I have one picked out to go with him back to his pen so he has a friend.
I came in to the house after burying my boy and found a chick had hatched in the incubator. I had 3 on there to see if they would since I had just started getting fertile eggs fromnthis group. It was 6 days early but very active and vocal.
When I candled the other 2, I was pretty sure this one may be the only one from this 3 that make it.

RIP Marty. Me and Mcfly miss you already my beautiful boy.
And welcome to the puffball flock Snickerdoodle!

Attachments

• 20230809_194208_resized.jpg
    20230809_194208_resized.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231203_070858.jpg
    20231203_070858.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 11
Good Morning and Happy Sunday.
Yesterday started off with me letting the babies out only to find that one of my Japanese Bantams didn't wake up. His brother was beside himself. They were the only two in that pen as I rescued them after having my other bantam flocks established with their roos. I didn't want to throw 2 more in with any of them for the safety of the girls. I moved him into the Cochin/Brahma pen ( their pen was on the other side of the fence) sectioned off to see how that flock was and if any hen seemed more interested or nicer than the others.. I have one picked out to go with him back to his pen so he has a friend.
I came in to the house after burying my boy and found a chick had hatched in the incubator. I had 3 on there to see if they would since I had just started getting fertile eggs fromnthis group. It was 6 days early but very active and vocal.
When I candled the other 2, I was pretty sure this one may be the only one from this 3 that make it.

RIP Marty. Me and Mcfly miss you already my beautiful boy.
And welcome to the puffball flock Snickerdoodle!
Sorry about your boy! Is Snickerdoodle a silkie?

I fed a lot of corn this morning so the girls (and a boy or two or a few) would get exercise after the rain for the last two days had them huddling under the coop roof most of the time. The ones that free range have been out playing in the leaves. On of the pet pullets was out early with 3 big roosters guarding her. They just stood around her while she looked for bugs in the leaves that had been wind rowed in a low area. I could spend the day just watching how they communicate and behave.

Sorry about your boy! Is Snickerdoodle a silkie?
Yes. I'm not too familiar with the types of silkies but here's mom and dad with close ups and another of snickerdoodle fluffy

Attachments

• 20230714_175602_resized-2.jpg
    20230714_175602_resized-2.jpg
    1,015.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230714_175602_resized-2_resized.jpg
    20230714_175602_resized-2_resized.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230714_175602_resized-2_resized (1).jpg
    20230714_175602_resized-2_resized (1).jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20231203_101516.jpg
    20231203_101516.jpg