What did you do with your flock today?

It's the Feather Babies Thanksgiving Breakfast!
They are having turkey, ham, peas, squash, cantaloupe, blueberries and a sliver of apple.
We don't tell them they are eating one of their mamas seconds cousin nephew so shhh
Samantha Skewes
Ryan Skewes
20231127_081736.jpg

Worked on de-stringing bags. Set up a tent so the incoming inclement weather won't break my stride 😉.View attachment 3692391
Such a chore.

Kept the flock locked up (so they would not poop on my stuff...) till 4 🫣 poor babies. Then they cruised by and picked up the grains from the brew bags and pooped elseware TG.
Beetle let me know that they required more snacks. So, i got a few photos of his ask ♡ He is really developing into a fantastic boy. Im very proud of him.View attachment 3692385View attachment 3692387View attachment 3692388He busted me trying to get a photo of his butt. Guess he did not approve. View attachment 3692389
Was too busy to catch a photo of the girls. I sure did enjoy their company while I worked though ♡
A labor of love!
Beetle is such a handsome boy and what a great shot with his wings spread! ❤️

It's the Feather Babies Thanksgiving Breakfast!
They are having turkey, ham, peas, squash, cantaloupe, blueberries and a sliver of apple.
We don't tell them they are eating one of their mamas seconds cousin nephew so shhh
Samantha Skewes
Ryan Skewes
View attachment 3692544
Such lucky birds! ❤️❤️❤️

Sadly, stores here seem to have Christmas items out even before Halloween. Traditionally we don't put anything up until after Thanksgiving, about a month before Christmas. DH and the boys are in charge of putting up the tree. I have scaled down over the years after moving, and only having adults in the house. A few strings of lights on the porch to string up and plug in. Olena gets to join in the festivities. She has been having turkey dinner for the past few days. I think she intentionally waits until dinner, as she doesn't eat much of her regular crumbles, and then eats all the other things (sunflower seeds and cracked corn with the turkey this week) I give her before her vitamins in the evening. Little stinker!
I've been taking her out of her sling to just lay on her side for awhile, and practice relaxing her legs and squatting for a time. Her leveling device isn't working too good yet. Time is what's needed. Hopefully by spring, and the warmer outside temps. She's being a little louder, vocally. Good sign, yes?
Sounds like a wonderful sign! You've done such an amazing job with her. I can't blame her for enjoying her treats 😂🥰

I've been eyeing stained glass Christmas trees. Think when my kiddos are moved out, I'd like to get one and simplify Christmas decorations. If I can find one I love 😊

So I had time today to finally put some metal roofing panels up around the bottom of the run where the rain drops and splashes in, wetting the soil. Hopefully it will dry out. DH fixed and retied a corner of the tarp which had blown up and over on itself when we had some gusts and rain last week.
The girls got the rest of the Thanksgiving leftovers today.
I think I had forgotten to mention that Houdini the roo and Lani were killed a week after the other 5. I feel so dumb, as I had totally spaced and forgot to close the coop door that evening. The coons came to check. Have lost 7 in the last month. 😥 :he:mad:
O that's hard! Don't beat yourself up... you're wonderful and I'm willing to bet if that ever happens again, there'll be good reason that you got distracted and forgot. Bet it doesn't happen again though :hugs

We don't have racoon problems here but we have ringtail cats (polecats) instead. Relatives of racoons. I don't think they're as bad as racoons, but the worst trouble I've ever had with chicken predators was from one of them. Sneaky and bold all at once... the little bugger.

You already have chicks ordered for the spring if I remember right? Gives you something to look forward to and time to deal with the racoons if you can. ❤️

Almost forgot to mention that I got lucky and was able to order dwarf eggs from Greenfire. I was delighted with how good they looked inside! Not bad air spaces at all, so I have high hopes for a good hatch. 🤞

I'm going to keep these separate from the dwarfs I got from my friend and enjoy just comparing the two flocks. I've been curious if my friends dwarfs are pure or if she mixed anything in to get the blues she had. I just haven't seen that color anywhere but in her flock. Though I read greys a color in them. At any rate, I'll really enjoy just watching them and comparing 😃.
20231127_092142.jpg

He is such a big, handsome boy! 😍😍😍
Don't you just love the way they come and tell you the treats are running low? 🤣
The more I listen to him the more I catch what he is saying... or crowing about. Love being tuned in ♡- feeds out, waters down, time to freerange, snacks- He is such a background guy when Spider is around. I like him as a front man- also. He's just becoming a perfect roo. Lucky me to have 2 incredible boys who do well together. A true Christmas miracle.

Mountain flock is well. No new sniffles and old ones gone. Whew!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom