What did you do with your flock today?

We will see light freeze one morning and heavy frost another but no really cold weather. It will be warming back up. We need about 7 days in a row of a hard freeze to put the whammy on the flies.
I am all for freezing those little sh%/% asap. And the stink bugs. The mosquitos dies and the bugs threw in stink bugs and biting gnats

They sure are! And so glossy!!! ❤❤❤
What do you shampoo them with? I think I need some for my hair 🤣
Hahaha it’s a show dog shampoo! Works well! 😍😍 May not be as great on human hair…but…it also just might! 😆😆

Attachments

• E9C852B9-97EA-4537-B2F9-F9B550D14724.jpeg
    E9C852B9-97EA-4537-B2F9-F9B550D14724.jpeg
    463.1 KB · Views: 4
My beloved rooster died on Saturday.

I'm barely recovering from having to cull Ruby due to reproductive issues, and then, all of a sudden, Mabelo dies in his sleep.

Necropsy is not an option so I think I will always see this as a random curse. He died kind of how I expected my chickens to die but... not the day they turn 3 years old.

I can't totally believe it and I guess that's why I can't cry. So I just sit here with my remaining 3 chickens who have that "WTF" look in their faces, too. And I found that they're more clingy than usual

It's been 2 losses in the same month...

IMG-20231126-WA0022.jpeg

I'm barely recovering from having to cull Ruby due to reproductive issues, and then, all of a sudden, Mabelo dies in his sleep.

Necropsy is not an option so I think I will always see this as a random curse. He died kind of how I expected my chickens to die but... not the day they turn 3 years old.

I can't totally believe it and I guess that's why I can't cry. So I just sit here with my remaining 3 chickens who have that "WTF" look in their faces, too. And I found that they're more clingy than usual

View attachment 3692130
That is so sad. :hugs I am so sorry for your loss and right on top of your loss of Ruby. I really hate losing one of my chickens at any time for any reason, even old age. But 3 is not old, so doubly sad.

I understand not getting a necropsy. No amount of information will make it any easier anyway. Is it time for some spring chicks to replenish the flock? :jumpy

View attachment 3692130
I am so sorry. Mabello was an extremely handsome and well loved rooster. A terrible and tragic loss.
That is so sad. :hugs I am so sorry for your loss and right on top of your loss of Ruby. I really hate losing one of my chickens at any time for any reason, even old age. But 3 is not old, so doubly sad.

I understand not getting a necropsy. No amount of information will make it any easier anyway. Is it time for some spring chicks to replenish the flock? :jumpy
Terrific idea!!! Hatch his offspring and let him live on. Nothing like the son of a well loved roo and watching him grow into his own.
Nothing can replace Mabello but holding onto his legacy may help to ease your pain. :hugs

I'm so glad to hear your friend thinks Olena will make a full recovery. It's so hard to assess over the internet, so much better to see the bird in the flesh 😊
Like your friend said, it will take months for her to recover. Patience is key now. I think she's made an amazing amount of progress in just 3 weeks and it's obvious your love, care and willingness to take a chance on her has made all the difference!

We don't have anything like the Thanksgiving holiday over here. Our next big holiday is Christmas so it's full steam ahead prepping for that. Seems to start earlier and earlier every year. Personally, I like to decorate a couple of weeks before - to me it helps keep it a special time of year. Two houses over they've had a Christmas tree up since the first weekend after Halloween! DH would like to decorate now so I'm being tortured over it.

That turkey looks so yummy!
We always decorate the first weekend of December...so next weekend. My youngest struggled with change when she was really little. She loved Christmas with all the lights and pretty stuff all over, but when everything got put away for another year it set her back for a couple of weeks. I would have loved to start decorating right after Halloween back then! Enchanted children are beautiful ❤️. Now I'm glad to wait. And my youngest found a way to keep a little of the magic year round. She has one entire wall of her bedroom neatly smothered in little lights and green vines 😂

View attachment 3692130
I totally understand the loss and the sadness they bring. I lost a young roo last night that I had in the clinic coop. He got something in his foot and started limping and picking at the bottom of his foot. He was in the clinic coop we setup to keep the other roos from picking at him. He was the son of our first pet and had 4 brothers that looked just like him. He tamed right down when we started handling him and didn't make a fuss over getting his B complex tablet. I will miss him. Glad I didn't name him beyond Rooster. Loosing his mom Lucy was hard to take when a predator got to her on our porch.

Last edited:
We always decorate the first weekend of December...so next weekend. My youngest struggled with change when she was really little. She loved Christmas with all the lights and pretty stuff all over, but when everything got put away for another year it set her back for a couple of weeks. I would have loved to start decorating right after Halloween back then! Enchanted children are beautiful ❤️. Now I'm glad to wait. And my youngest found a way to keep a little of the magic year round. She has one entire wall of her bedroom neatly smothered in little lights and green vines 😂
I love it, a free spirit!

Back
Top Bottom