What did you do with your flock today?

I wish I could react with a 😢 and 😆 face!

I’m so very sorry for the loss of your boy. The sudden deaths with no apparent causes are always the worst for me. Hugs!

It sounds like your rooster was appropriately put in his face and your sweet lost boy helped you out! ❤️❤️
I felt so bad! When I went to lock theirs I petted him and he chortled at me. He only is ever mean to rabbits and squirrels. He is so sweet to the other birds near him.

Up late waiting for my youngest to get home from work and trying to feed Hop. His abdomen is dark dark red now except for the skin covering his buried foot. Suspect he bled inside. So I'm saying goodbye to the little guy tonight. Think that's the kindest thing for him. 😭

Everyone's still a little sick here. Not sure what we caught (not covid) but wow it's been a doozy bug. My lungs hurt! I'm feeling like cheese and whine tonight 😄.

@fuzzi your birds are so so pretty. They all look very healthy and happy so I'm betting @LTAY1946 has it right on the light bit. Mine just all quit laying at once too because we had a cold snap. It's not actually cold at all! Just a teeny nippy at night...but not an egg in sight for a couple of days now.

@TropicalBabies I don't envy you the litterbox cleaning 😂💩🤢 but o those kitties look so happy! ❤️❤️❤️😻

Last edited:
Up late waiting for my youngest to get home from work and trying to feed Hop. His abdomen is dark dark red now except for the skin covering his buried foot. Suspect he bled inside. So I'm saying goodbye to the little guy tonight. Think that's the kindest thing for him. 😭

Everyone's still a little sick here. Not sure what we caught (not covid) but wow it's been a doozy bug. My lungs hurt! I'm feeling like cheese and whine tonight 😄.

@fuzzi your birds are so so pretty. They all look very healthy and happy so I'm betting @LTAY1946 has it right on the light bit. Mine just all quit laying at once too because we had a cold snap. It's not actually cold at all! Just a teeny nippy at night...but not an egg in sight for a couple of days now.

@TropicalBabies I don't envy you the litterbox cleaning 😂💩🤢 but o those kitties look so happy! ❤️❤️❤️😻
Ahh poor Hop, his life was short but full of love and hope. 😢 I’m sorry you have to say goodbye to him. Hugs 🤗

It's been a crazy few days getting the house ready for guests, and cooking for yesterday. Actually deboned and made a turkey roast.
View attachment 3690975 Hope you all enjoyed your holiday. So sorry you couldn't join us, @Shetland lover . Do you have a similar holiday there?
Ginger, actually, her name is Olena (I have always had trouble telling my 2 Wellies apart :plbb) is slowly improving. Her name means turmeric in Hawaiian. A friend of my son was over, and she does parrot rescue, also other kinds of poultry. Her opinion is that she will fully recover in a few months. It was so sweet to see her checking on Olena the whole time she was here over 2 days. I was holding her today, and she was trying to take steps, but her legs still cross and go to the side a bit. It's only been 3 weeks. She got to have turkey, which she gobbled up yesterday and today. 😉 She must know that she needs the extra protein, and her molt is almost over. I feel bad every time she loses a new feather from being handled.
Gave the other girls a Thanksgiving treat today, leftovers of what people left behind. Have more for them in a few days. Nights are down to low 30's this week (around 0 C) so the extra carbs will keep them warm. Seems the rat has stopped going in the coop. Small win. DH repositioned the security camera to the inside of the fence, so we can see how the raccoons might be climbing over.
I'm so glad to hear your friend thinks Olena will make a full recovery. It's so hard to assess over the internet, so much better to see the bird in the flesh 😊
Like your friend said, it will take months for her to recover. Patience is key now. I think she's made an amazing amount of progress in just 3 weeks and it's obvious your love, care and willingness to take a chance on her has made all the difference!

We don't have anything like the Thanksgiving holiday over here. Our next big holiday is Christmas so it's full steam ahead prepping for that. Seems to start earlier and earlier every year. Personally, I like to decorate a couple of weeks before - to me it helps keep it a special time of year. Two houses over they've had a Christmas tree up since the first weekend after Halloween! DH would like to decorate now so I'm being tortured over it.

That turkey looks so yummy!

There's a lot of good heritage breeds out there. I'm hoping my hamburgs will be that for me. Good layers but not production level, and smaller eggs so easier on the hens.

My landrace dwarfs might end up my forever breed. They'd be excellent layers if only they didn't go broody all the time 😂.

The dwarfs are crazy broodys and the hamburgs aren't supposed to go broody. I'm not sure which breed I'll settle on, but broody tendencies might matter to you too down the road.
I'm a big fan of landrace breeds, as you know. I love my Shetland and will definitely get more. They're definitely my forever breed. Great personality, friendly temperament, easy to keep and feed, cold hardy, don't have any significant health issues or predisposition to particular diseases. If eggs are important to you, they lay medium sized, pale blue-green eggs most of the year. They do take a winter break but I know their bodies are getting a much-needed rest for at least 2-3 months a year. Don't go broody either but I have my bantam Cochin for that! The bantam Cochin hens have a reputation for not laying much but that's not been my experience.
I've seen first-hand the appalling toll taken on high production hens little bodies so I would never buy them. Love rescuing them when the egg industry no longer consider them commercially viable, though!

At 43° all snakes should be hibernating for the winter. I finally don't have to worry about a rattler in the grass when I'm out after dark now closing up coops. If only foxes and coons would go into hibernation I wouldn't have to close the coops up.
It's been in the 70s until the last couple days, so I thought it was possible.

I'm okay with the pullets not laying, it's just a little frustrating. I'm hoping to not have to buy eggs.

Hi everyone! I was off for awhile but I still check in here and there. Life has not been the smoothest road lately. Almost puts a Pennsylvania backroad to shame.
I did want to share that I wrote a short story based on the story I tell my flocks when it's their first time with Santa. It's more fun and sweet and I can read it back to them to. I have so many funny sweet stories just because they are who they are.
Does anyone know a place I could share them in case others want to read them or let their kids read them?
Not seeing to get paid but just want to share my tiny velociraptors with everyone.
Oh, how lovely! I'd like to read it.

Welcome back btw.,

Back
Top Bottom