What did you do with your flock today?

Well yesterday, I obviously had another lapse in judgment. View attachment 3681164
Meet Waihona (clipped ear 😕). Sibling of MakaneView attachment 3681166
I'll see what I can do for (her? Better check paperwork) the kitty. Maybe friendly it up enough to keep it from life on the streets 🤞?
All kttens, except for Tally,View attachment 3681169
are all post surgery, happy to be home and doing well watching Tally climb the soursop tree and brooder, storage shed, condo, me, the shop, avo tree... 🙄View attachment 3681170
Taking in kitties needing help is NEVER a lapse in judgement! They are all so gorgeous! 😍😍😍

Little Henny and her babies are spending days outside now and nights indoors until I'm sure the babies are ready to handle the cold nights. Then they'll get to join the flock. A little older than they usually go out but I was enjoying them so much. These babies aren't pure spangle. I have all my oegb together now so there's spangle, crele and Isabelle in the mix.View attachment 3681552

Still waiting for ironwood to give a date to bring Mojo to them. So little piggies still here. Hope thats still happening...I'm a little confused by the silence after they reached out to me to say they have room now.

Caught a head cold so having a very lazy day here, but did get a little cleaning done along with the regular daily chores.
Such cute little fuzzballs! Mama too. 😍😍😍
Hope Mojo still has a place at Ironwood 🤞
I can empathise. I've also got a head cold, it's an absolute b*tch.

Well...I have a little chick that had something go wrong in the egg. At first I thought it hatched with one leg missing and since it was from a sibling hatching which is a no no, I thought it was my first genetic mishap. I don't usually breed siblings but this time was to try to see what recessive genes I have in my blues that produced only three babies in silver color...I've read silver looks can be caused by genes besides silver. But closer inspection shows it's whole leg is there, but disappears back into its body at the umbilical cord. I can feel the hard lump of its leg inside its abdomen on that side. For now it's strong and vigorous so I didn't put it down. I'm very uncertain how it'll do over the long run but think I'm going to help it try. It's leg enters the abdomen just barely past the elbow.
20231110_181143.jpg

I'm hoping it's leg will shrivel off at the elbow there and it's body will rebsorb or calcify the foot caught inside. I know that's possible...I don't know if it's likely though 😕. But for now it's healthy and it very much wants to live. I named it Hopalong Cassidy. With all that white fluff it rather reminds me of the fellow who used to play the character.
Wish the little one some much needed good luck, and if anyone has any experience with one legged chickens I'd sure love to hear about them!

Last edited:
I'm at one of the worst moments as a chicken keeper. One of my hens had emergency surgery on a prolapse (AGAIN!) and she is hospitalized.

While I wait for the doctor to tell me how she's doing, I'm spending some time with the rest of the flock. I kinda need to remind myself why I do this, why I love them so much - even when loving them can hurt so much.

Screenshot_2023-11-12-14-44-19-946.jpg

I'm at one of the worst moments as a chicken keeper. One of my hens had emergency surgery on a prolapse (AGAIN!) and she is hospitalized.

While I wait for the doctor to tell me how she's doing, I'm spending some time with the rest of the flock. I kinda need to remind myself why I do this, why I love them so much - even when loving them can hurt so much.

View attachment 3682157
:hugs :hugs:hugs

View attachment 3682157
I am glad that you have a vet that can help. :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

I am glad that you have a vet that can help. :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

IKR?? But this one is expensive (hospitalization is expensive) and is far from me and, Gosh, I took my hen there on an Uber, then I ran out of money and went back home in a bus in the middle of the night.

Just thinking about going back there (because I must pick her up if she survives) stresses the hell out of me.

But I couldn't do anything else, I couldn't let her die.

And now, if she recovers, she must go back there for neutering in about 10 days... Until then I must make sure she doesn't lay an egg and ruin it all...

I'm exhausted, guys, I'm literally having a mental breakdown and I'm alone in this. My family is not supportive of my decisions, even though it's my money and not theirs, they think I went too far with this chicken...

IKR?? But this one is expensive (hospitalization is expensive) and is far from me and, Gosh, I took my hen there on an Uber, then I ran out of money and went back home in a bus in the middle of the night.

Just thinking about going back there (because I must pick her up if she survives) stresses the hell out of me.

But I couldn't do anything else, I couldn't let her die.

And now, if she recovers, she must go back there for neutering in about 10 days... Until then I must make sure she doesn't lay an egg and ruin it all...

I'm exhausted, guys, I'm literally having a mental breakdown and I'm alone in this. My family is not supportive of my decisions, even though it's my money and not theirs, they think I went too far with this chicken...
I'm sorry you are having to deal with all of this. It is a tough one ☹️ I hope she hangs in there and recovers perfectly after surgery ♡ and you two spend many terrific years together :hugs 💕

Back
Top Bottom