What did you do with your flock today?

I didn't know you could check for fertility in an egg. I thought you had to break the egg and look for the little white circle. How do you do that?
She's going to use two for her lunch and check for the bullseye. Then if either is fertile I'll start saving for a November hatch. If I set 41 eggs and get 10 pullets out of the hatch I'll be happy.

Roodolf made it to his new home this morning ♡ 30 ladies of his very own to watch over.
48713.jpeg

One thing I should get done on some of my breeders is to clip some vent feathers and use a pressure washer on most all of them around there vents. They found something out free ranging that really messed their bums up. Roosters are wasting their time trying to make sure the hens are fertile.
Hope y'all didn't really believe I'd use a pressure washer on me hens. I'll probably need and old fashioned foot tub and soak their bums one at a time in it with some No More Tears Shampoo. They are really that dirty. I could take a picture of a few. :) The RIR's are not bad. It's those Cornish Cross hens in their coop with a White Giant Rooster.

Hope y'all didn't really believe I'd use a pressure washer on me hens. I'll probably need and old fashioned foot tub and soak their bums one at a time in it with some No More Tears Shampoo. They are really that dirty. I could take a picture of a few. :) The RIR's are not bad. It's those Cornish Cross hens in their coop with a White Giant Rooster.
Did they eat something that gave them the runs?

Did they eat something that gave them the runs?
I think the free ranging ones (Delawares) might have. The Cornish Cross are just naturally that way. It's been that way since they were a few weeks old. I want to AI the big White Giant Roo to them as he is gentle and meaty. A real gentleman of a rooster. I would expect that to be a good cross that could be fed like normal heritage breeds can.

Today I thought it would be fun to put a bunch of leaves in their dig box. My poor Cinnamon Queen excitedly jumped in, only to be traumatized by the inevitable crunch of autumn goodness Chaos ensued with much squawking and flapping. Now no one will use the dig box, not even for treats. 😖

View attachment 3658223
:lau

Poor babies, my kiddos do enjoy scratching around through the leaves outside, not sure about inside if they would like the scrunching sound.

I use a 5 gallon pail, put about 4 inches of warm water with some liquid soap (like your no mor tears) put the hen in there, they can’t easily flap/jump out of the pail, and I can easily scrub their bums in the pail. Rinse a few times.

Then I use a hairdryer to dry off the feathers after towel drying them. Once dry I give them a close trim of their derrière feathers.

Back
Top Bottom