What did you do with your flock today?

Well, my neighbor and us said our goodbyes today. He sold his mom's house. She was hard of hearing, and he loved my girls and boy. Crowing was welcome. He was also treat dispenser #3, and they knew his call. Now with new neighbors moving in soon, the future of the crowing is uncertain. I'll just have to share some eggs with them, Pronto.
Peaches, pears and plums are falling, to the chickens' delight. Just can't let them have too many.🍦💩 :sick
Sorry you lost a good neighbor 😞. Hope your new ones turn out to be wonderful too...fresh eggs and a friendly face are hopefully all it takes!

I gave my barnyard mix chicks a good look. I have a scissors beak. I'm going to try Orthodontic braces.

Everyone else is fine. But....it appears my red Silkie roo has been busy. Knowing black and white are dominant colors, I have 7 red chicks, most with either tufts started on their heads or 5 toes, some have both.

Methinks Napoleon is exaggerating his 'Lonely Rooster' routine.🤥
I just finished fixing a crossbeak bird using physical therapy tape to tape the beak nightly in the right alignment. Worked a charm though I can't say if it'd work on all cases. Probably only work on a crossbeak that's just begun on a young bird. I'm about to head out to a vet appointment but I'll post up about it later today after I'm home. Quick pics of the bird I worked on before and after.
711653198.jpg
20230728_080246.jpg
And here she is back home with her family a couple weeks after. Still looking good.
713586750(1).jpg

Last edited:
I just finished fixing a crossbeak bird using physical therapy tape to tape the beak nightly in the right alignment. Worked a charm though I can't say if it'd work on all cases. Probably only work on a crossbeak that's just begun on a young bird. I'm about to head out to a vet appointment but I'll post up about it later today after I'm home. Quick pics of the bird I worked on before and after.View attachment 3610641View attachment 3610642And here she is back home with her home a couple weeks alter. Still looking good.View attachment 3610643
Nice. Congratulations 🎊

Mine is a bit more severe. I had hoped it wouldn't be and I was going to leave it. But it is clear that this will interfere with her development. I'll try the tape until the brace brackets arrive.

When my chickens were out foraging tonight, one of them started acting weird, and I've seen it before. She just pretty much quit moving around. Stood around a lot, pecked a little.

Last time I saw it, the pullet finally dropped a shell less egg out on the lawn. I didn't see this one drop an egg, but I think that's what's going on with her. Her comb is just starting to grow, so I think her first egg is on the way and she doesn't quite know what's going on.

Or it could be an upset stomach from the frozen apple peels they all got this afternoon. Hard to know what's going on with chickens...
I think I was right about the reason my pullet was acting strange yesterday evening, that her first egg was working its way out. She was acting totally fine this morning, and....

I was given eight eggs today! All before 10AM too. I think the misshapen one was the pullet's first egg. 8 pullets, 8 eggs!

And they were all laid in the nest boxes.

IMG_2749.JPG IMG_2752.JPG IMG_2754.JPG

Trying to get my geese to not be so afraid of me….peas…yeah that isn’t working. Cracked corn…sure if it’s 50 feet away from me. Corn on the cob…same. Carrots, forget it. Not really sure what else to try. It’s ok though if they never really like me. They are pretty and I love them anyway.

Attachments

• 7027BEA8-933F-4FB1-B49C-18A2860BFEAE.jpeg
    7027BEA8-933F-4FB1-B49C-18A2860BFEAE.jpeg
    870.1 KB · Views: 2
Trying to get my geese to not be so afraid of me….peas…yeah that isn’t working. Cracked corn…sure if it’s 50 feet away from me. Corn on the cob…same. Carrots, forget it. Not really sure what else to try. It’s ok though if they never really like me. They are pretty and I love them anyway.
They are Gorgeous.

Don't be giving me side eye about this, but...hotdog slices. It works for a lot of birds.

Back
Top Bottom