What did you do with your flock today?

I hosed down all the woodchips in both runs this morning to keep the chickens cool. The evaporation should drop the temp quite a bit. I'll wet it down again later today, too.

There were 5 nice eggs first thing this morning, and one more a little later. And no sign of any soft / shell less eggs being laid overnight either. Maybe without a rooster crowing, the pullets are more relaxed. I know I am...

And it could just be that their egg laying machinery is maturing and becoming more consistent.

Last edited:
zone 6a checkin' in! What a beautiful summer. Today a beautiful rain came
I'm in the boonies and we get lizards, toads, bugs, more bugs, more bugs, coyotes, javelinas, bobcats, polecats, hawks and owls.
But mostly lizards and bugs...and more bugs...and more bugs. Have to say there's some seriously cool bugs around here at least 😂 and we never saw most of these when we lived in town. This is a baby giant hairy scorpion... we've seen some of these a good 6 inches long. They're very calm and mellow, so when we came across this guy, I put my ugly toe next to him for scale 😂
View attachment 3609728
Bare toes, makes sense 😬🤣

We've almost finished the run. I've been working alone on it most days, but had a little help today. Just need to get the fencing over the roof and the skirting. The skirting has to wait until we can get the grass mowed around the run. The coop will be built little by little over the next 2-3 months (it's really hot out right now so have to only work a little at a time)
Also had 4 babies trying to fly around the house and had to catch them and return to brooder (falling with style really 😂)
IMG_20230815_132949.jpg

At airport, and soon to be on my way to Maui to go grab my kid ♡. I am soooo grateful. I hope to pass some Aloha to others, via a little cash to strangers to help out. I take you all in my heart.

Can't wait to introduce my son to the chooks and kitties 🐈🐔💕 I'm sure they will work their magic. They sure do for me.
Nice and quiet here... almost weird View attachment 3609946
Just in case you were curious...View attachment 3609947View attachment 3609949
I'm sure my flight will be very empty 🤞
Yay....both for the quiet and for seeing your son! Hope everyone there is finding some peace amid all the bustle and hard work there. ❤️

We've almost finished the run. I've been working alone on it most days, but had a little help today. Just need to get the fencing over the roof and the skirting. The skirting has to wait until we can get the grass mowed around the run. The coop will be built little by little over the next 2-3 months (it's really hot out right now so have to only work a little at a time)
Also had 4 babies trying to fly around the house and had to catch them and return to brooder (falling with style really 😂)
View attachment 3610014
Throw a shade cover on that and it'd be a perfect desert run! Bet you can't wait to move the babies outside!

Throw a shade cover on that and it'd be a perfect desert run! Bet you can't wait to move the babies outside!
They've started to fly out every time I open the brooder to feed/water. We're hot and swampy here. Our yard is pretty dry, but there's a swamp behind us. I'm doing both fencing and one side will have a sheet of metal roofing (our hurricanes would destroy a tarp). I want my babies safe! And out of the living room 🤣

Sounds like a rough rough time! Glad you and yours made it through ok!

My coops aren't what I'd call pretty either 😂. That's ok...I love them anyhow!
That is just some of why I have been gone for so long (among other reasons, as you and some know). But just one thing on top of another with these guys. It’s starting to slow down. And then winter will be here and it will get all kinds of different crazy 🤣. But with coops being done, it makes it easier.

I want to paint my coops at least. I just haven’t done it. Or even wallpaper the inside but I’m not sure what to use to make sure it stays. I think your coops are pretty cute!

Out of my 10 pullets (Townline Hatchery), only my white OE has been laying so far. She started early at 18.5 weeks. My black OE isn't showing any signs yet.

The combs have been really redding up on everyone else, but no action. Until today, that is! One of my GLW started squatting today ❤. I expect to see an egg from her in the next day or two 🤞 20.5 weeks old tomorrow.

As of today, I've collected 10 eggs, which brings my cost average down to $600 per egg. Making progress ☺

Back
Top Bottom