What did you do with your flock today?

They don’t, it’s an incomplete dominant trait like Blue in chickens. Two silvers make a weak white/cream colored bird that apparently is born with a weak heart and smaller organs and pink skin. There’s also a lavender gene they call lavender…so the ones I have are technically silver…and an Andalusian gene and they all look similar haha. Annoying genetics 🤪
Sooo complicated! It makes my brain hurt🤕

So it sounds like it does work with quail in a similar way to LFS in Arabs.

I was hoping Sylv had slightly healthier genes than some lavenders as one parent was blue and It doesn't seem to have as many associated issues but then again, the blue parent would have to carry lavender so I suppose you can't avoid it.

That is a beautiful color ❤️

I wonder if a rat got a baby? I'm afraid I don't know much about rats to even know if that could be. Hoping Sia's simply living happily right down the street from you somewhere. I know it's not a strong possibility...but can always hope. If the fox got her while she slept, it probably was able to take her without a mess making struggle and carried her away. ☹️
Good thought! Rats will definitely take chicks. So will grey squirrels. That happened to a friend of mine.

Had no idea they had contraceptives for chickens! Amazing! Back when I used to have production breeds, we had the sweetest, most wonderful Easter egger that over layed too. I would have happily got her something like that just to keep her around longer.
It's an hormonal implant designed for dogs called Supraloin. It can be used in chickens and gets implanted into the breast. It's expensive over here as only dog breeders use it and it only comes in large boxes and doesn't store once opened. It can also be a bit hit and miss in effectiveness. Supposed to last 6 months but in some hens, only 2-3 months and can have side effects like any hormone. Still think if I can find a vet who carries it, it's worth doing if she keeps over-laying.

A chicken Brazilian? Now I've heard everything! :lau

Gee, thanks for giving me even more to worry about. LOL

But seriously, thanks. I did not know that.
The risk of bacterial infection is why you're not supposed to break an egg inside an egg-bound hen to get it out. Vets can aspirate the egg with a fine needle to collapse and remove it in extreme cases but it's always followed up by strong anti-biotics and the vent being lavaged.
I've seen it done on my training course but the hen was sedated and I wouldn't have the confidence to try it.

When I trimmed Penelope's feathers, she had a tiny strip of stubby feathers left running down over her vent 🤣
The boys spent an awful lot of time up-skirting her when she went back out...

The risk of bacterial infection is why you're not supposed to break an egg inside an egg-bound hen to get it out. Vets can aspirate the egg with a fine needle to collapse and remove it in extreme cases but it's always followed up by strong anti-biotics and the vent being lavaged.
I've seen it done on my training course but the hen was sedated and I wouldn't have the confidence to try it.

I read about aspirating a bound egg, maybe on Meyershatchery website. Not something I'd attempt myself.

When I trimmed Penelope's feathers, she had a tiny strip of stubby feathers left running down over her vent 🤣
The boys spent an awful lot of time up-skirting her when she went back out...
:eek:

What you are describing is called creeper gene, which makes the chicken's legs only carried centimeters from the ground. And the chicken breed with creeper gene that was used in wars is called Scots Dumpy. I find Scots Dumpies to be interesting, but would not get one because some individuals are nocturnal.
Scots Dumpies are fascinating birds and I've always fancied having a couple. I did not know they could be nocturnal! That would not go down well with my neighbours!

I wonder if that has anything to do with their decline in popularity? Over here, they're classed as vulnerable to extinction. As a breed they have a lot going for them: attractive, easy to keep, dual purpose, lay a good amount of eggs, very cold hardy, come in standard and bantam varieties...
Like any animal with chondrodystrophy, they can have spinal and limb issues and deformities and the gene responsible is a lethal gene, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Scots Dumpies are fascinating birds and I've always fancied having a couple. I did not know they could be nocturnal! That would not go down well with my neighbour's!

I wonder if that has anything to do with their decline in popularity? Over here, they're classed as vulnerable to extinction. As a breed they have a lot going for them: attractive, easy to keep, dual purpose, lay a good amount of eggs, very cold hardy, come in standard and bantam varieties...
Like any animal with chondrodystrophy, they can have spinal and limb issues and deformities and the gene responsible is a lethal gene, unfortunately.
Creeper gene is lethal, like you mentioned, so I doubt many people would want to breed them and overall deal with the leg issues that may arise in the future. Crested is a lethal gene as well, but people do not realize that because they believe crested breeds are very cute.

What you are describing is called creeper gene, which makes the chicken's legs only carried centimeters from the ground. And the chicken breed with creeper gene that was used in wars is called Scots Dumpy. I find Scots Dumpies to be interesting, but would not get one because some individuals are nocturnal.
I find them fascinating, and the history behind them equally so. Part of me still wants to get some just to see them with my own eyes 😂

Back
Top Bottom